Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic

coolant system issue

when i squeeze the hoses they seem soft, I can get a good press on them, this is after a good 30 minute drive. Checked water pump and heater hoses and they aren't leaking anywhere that I can see nor is the oil discolored and there is some pressure as I took the cap off after the drive and it spewed coolant.
    Is it normal? b16a if it helps.
    Don't really wanna drive it to get a leak test yet.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Its a rubber hose with coolant in it. Of course you can squeeze it.

It will spurt out water after a drive and you take the cap off, can be dangerous to yourself as well (burns). Water system is under pressure, when it heats up it expands. Your radiator cap has a spring on it so the system is always under pressure when warm/hot.

All sounds fine to me. If your not seeing any coolant on your garage floor, then there is no leaks and you should be fine.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    hmm well, guess I'll monitor it over the next day or so and get that compression test to be safe, the part where the system is under pressure seems to be lacking, I've checked my hoses in the past and after driving they become very firm when squeezed in this case they are spongy.

You're getting a compression test because you can squeeze the rubber hose? :/

If the hole in your head gasket was big enough for you to be able to squeeze coolant into then your car would be burning coolant like a mother.

Just keep an eye on your coolant levels.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Head gasket, true true. Are you monitoring water levels? Are you loosing water (having to top up)? If your not loosing water, again, sounds fine to me.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    if you got all of ozhonda to squeeze their coolant hoses after driving I guarantee they would all say they are soft

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    nope, levels are a-ok from the reservoir

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    After i go for a drive, and system is hot, the hoses are much firmer than wen its cold. firm but still squeezable... are u squeezing as hard as u can wen ur testing the hoses?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    yes....

Quote Originally Posted by Rice_4_life View Post
    nope, levels are a-ok from the reservoir
    Then don't worry about it. Anything you're worried about would cause coolant levels to drop.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    well, certainly puts my mind at ease now. Haven't driven her since I posted