Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

Exhaust - Heat coating + heat wrap ?

Gday guys.

Obviously heat is one of the biggest killers in our FWD applications. There are many places out there that can coat heat sources such as exhausts, dump pipes, exhaust manifolds and turbochargers... eg HPC coating etc. Wanted to know if you went the step further to apply heat wrap to an allready coated exhaust part would there be any problems to this? would it work better again and contain more heat? I have herd a few stories about applying heat wrap over a HPC type coat, that the wrap would start breaking down the coating over the metal and work in a negative way.

Any Help?

Regards Lyle
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    I would only use a heat coating/heat wrap if you really had a big problem with heat radiating/heat soak, I've heard of a few accounts where the heat wrap on custom/lower quality headers has contained the heat too well and the headers have cracked.

These might be extreme cases but I'm sure most people out there have no problems without heating coating/heat wrapping, only people I know that have NEEDED heat wrapping have turbo setups.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Yes well i will have big problems with heat in the future. I would rather built something correct first rather then have heat problems, pull down a setup after being built... etc

ANYWAY.. back on track. Can anyone see any problems useing heat wrap over the top of heat coating?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    to be honest man, thats over kill even for high end track cars. you dont see many (if at all) track hondas with header wrap. i would invest towards a better cooling system, cause i have heard the high temp coats cost a fortune.
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    If youre running turbo (and already got a heat coated exhaust system), heat wrap the intake/intercooler pipings.

Alot will think it wont make a difference. But in the long run, it gives a more constant air temp.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    One of my biggest questions, Will putting heat wrap over the top of a heat coating affect or destory the heat coating? will the extra heat wrap be a pro or con?

Quote Originally Posted by riruiz_88 View Post
    to be honest man, thats over kill even for high end track cars. you dont see many (if at all) track hondas with header wrap. i would invest towards a better cooling system, cause i have heard the high temp coats cost a fortune.

high temp coatings do not cost a fortune. Not even close. under $200 for a set of headers.
    --------------------------------------

NA all the way, turbos are ghey.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    depends what kind of coating you get i guess
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]