Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Accord not cranking after engine swap

Hey guys,

i have a 94 accord - f22b1 auto

i had an old engine with 300 plus kays on it when the gearbox broke and the car wouldn't move anymore
    my local honda dealer sourced me a new engine and gearbox, and i also fitted new cvs and all new suspension gear

the problem is that after the swap and everything is re connected and as far as i know, double checked. is that the car wont crank after fitting the new engine and box, so i sourced and fitted a new starter motor which hasn't rectified the problem. its not that it wont crank, and wants too, its like the starter motor isn't even reaching the flywheel to turn the engine over.

the gear position indicator and everything else seems to be working correctly.

any help would be appreciated before i call a mechanic.
    it has me and my housemate puzzled and between us we have a few engine conversions under out belt. but nothing ever front wheel drive

thanks

check your grounding....
    JDMYard Eg civic lsvtec 1.04:1 WAKEFIELD PARK
    Bel Garage Dc2r/Neptune ecu
    SUPERLAP 2010 clubsprint FF na winner
    1.54.81 street tyre

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    as above

make sure your earth near the battery to the trans is connected and in good condition

make sure your battery is charged

put 12v directly to the stater solenoid to make sure its not a switching issue.

can you turn the engine over from the crank pulley bolt ( anti clockwise )
    what exactly happens when you crank. just a clucnk or clunk and wirl ?

Member Array
    Car:
    ..S2000..
    Quote Originally Posted by halemoores View Post
    Hey guys,

i have a 94 accord - f22b1 auto

i had an old engine with 300 plus kays on it when the gearbox broke and the car wouldn't move anymore
    my local honda dealer sourced me a new engine and gearbox, and i also fitted new cvs and all new suspension gear

the problem is that after the swap and everything is re connected and as far as i know, double checked. is that the car wont crank after fitting the new engine and box, so i sourced and fitted a new starter motor which hasn't rectified the problem. its not that it wont crank, and wants too, its like the starter motor isn't even reaching the flywheel to turn the engine over.

the gear position indicator and everything else seems to be working correctly.

any help would be appreciated before i call a mechanic.
    it has me and my housemate puzzled and between us we have a few engine conversions under out belt. but nothing ever front wheel drive

thanks
    if you are saying that it sounds like the starter is not reaching the ring gear on the flex plate/fly wheel and it sounds like it just free spinning.. ask yourself is that engine u put in a good motor?? maybe its got no compression...
    ..VTEC YO!..

pure N/A all the way

ground on gearbox is good. engine and box has supposedly 127 000 kays on it, i replaced the timing and balancer belts and also the water pump and a bunch of seals. the battery ive been using is out of my daily drive hilux wich has more then sufficent cca to start the honda. i can turn the engine over by hand, and when i crank it on the key, you can hear and feel the starter throwing out the gear and then whirring like they do, if the motor had no compression that wouldnt stop it turning over?

Car:
    twin GX160's
    well if you can hear the starter turn bit the engine is not physicly turning, then I would check

- is the stater the correct starter for the car
    - are the torque converter bolts installed ? should be about 8 bolts.
    - is the ring gear on the torque converter damaged

alright found the problem, the plate that bolts the engine to the flywheel was missing, thanks to my local honda dealer, who said they gearbox and engine hadn't been split. so i dropped the box and used the one from my old engine and gearbox.
    car turns over now but doesn't start. the new starter motor cranks the engine hard, i have fuel pressure and spark. going to a call a mechanic this week unless im missing something?

cheers

Car:
    twin GX160's
    check the ECU for any fault codes,

ensure you have the leads on the dizzy in the correct order

check your thermostat housing earth

ensure all electrical connectors are connected

change the spark plugs

getting what i think is a code 30 off the ecu, check the link for the video ive taken of it.. dizzys right, grounds are good and connectors are right, plugs are new too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LjHzb3ZjSw
    Last edited by halemoores; 06-09-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    thats code 10

IAT sensor

that will prevent the car from starting

check out the below link

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67515

thanks heaps mate, turns out i had the IAT, and IAC plugs the wrong way around, ive never encountered a car that has the same type of plugs so close to each other. The ecu reads no codes now, car cranks and splutters aswell. thinking its just old fuel thats been in the car since march. fingers crossed!

Car:
    twin GX160's
    check the resistance of your IAT,

connecting it to the IACV may fry the IAT