Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    my06 wrx STi

Thumping sound when accelerating on S2000

hey boys my car makes loud thumping sounds when i accelerate, i went to pedders and got a inspection they said everything looks good like suspension, shocks, bushes etc but they saying it might be the tailshaft? anyone had experience with these thumps? lol

Sounds like tailshaft to me. Uni joints are probably shagged.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    You have three options:

- FREE but semi-ghetto (hope that it wasn't done before)
    - Cheap and quick
    - Buy new and have it fixed forever

OPTION ONE:
    Replace your INNER CV CUPS from left to right (not the entire axles, just the cups). Usually the cup's walls get pitted possibly because your car has been lowered... It's a very common thing on the S2K's. Give it a go. It's easy to do, do a search on S2ki.com/forums "CV Cup replacement".

OPTION TWO:
    Purchase driveshaft spacers, plenty on ebay for about $120 delivered. Install them to the cups, basically unbolt the drive shafts (from the diff to the axle) and slot them in accordingly.

OPTION THREE:
    Replace complete axles to know that you have brand new cups and start fresh.. Generally Pitting becomes evident when lowered for about 50,000kms per side. If you use option one method, you have 100,000km free of vibration.

Generally this is the culprit for the thudding vibration on acceleration. Otherwise check all your mounts, DIFF MOUNTS, TRANSMISSION MOUNTS and ENGINE MOUNTS. Let us know how you go!

Peace.

Member Array
    Car:
    my06 wrx STi
    thanks for the replies, yeah i had a read about the cup swaps i would go for that option if that would fix the problem, im putting a brand new clutch in soon so might aswell ask them to swap the cv cups over and yeah i will let yous know how it goes the s2000s are geting old these days more porblems will be posted up on the site with solutions aswell we hope

Member Array
    Car:
    00' s2000
    ive changed my driveshafts about 4 months ago AND i now have driveshaft spacers which have been installed for over 2 months now
    but i notice that with the top UP i still get a lot of diff noise. all my rear soundeading such as the carpet and the parcel shelf has been removed and maybe this is wats making everything sound louder?
    wen i shift gears and i put my foot on the accelerator at any point..usually in 3rd or 4th gear
    i get a liddle DUNK from the rear. if i press really slowely i dont get it but normally i do
    what could this be? bad diff? something out of balance?
    does the same wen i shift at low rpm..ubt wen i do like 5k + shifts..i dont get it at all
    is it maybe how im getting on the throttle?
    sorry but this thread has just got me paranoid now since i snapped 2 driveshafts in the past and am now very worried about my diff
    Last edited by tamay_s2k; 15-08-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    I kind of get a slight donk.. Check your diff mounts, I changed 2 of them, and i was amazed. Mounts were full cracked right through... lol But I also do think that generally S2K's are kind of rough from factory because your much closer to the box etc etc.. My clonking is less noticeable after all of these changes, I do suspect that my diff is probably on its way though.

How did you manage to break your drive shafts?

Member Array
    Car:
    00' s2000
    well
    1st was a rev dump (the right 1 snapped)
    second time was whilst i was in a slide. ( the left 1 snapped)
    all in a course of 1 month exactly after lowering my car
    both from being stupid so i guess im the blame and not there car
    plus my car was on 125,000kms on the factory driveshafts and had been lowered about a good 2 inches on the back...so the driveshafts were on there way out already

Member Array
    Car:
    my06 wrx STi
    i use to get a big thump when i changed to 1st gear or reverse, it went away when i changed the diff oil

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    ^^^ I might just do that actually, that's the only fluid I haven't changed yet... What oil did you use? Honda OEM? I heard good things about REDLINE. Might do the transmission/diff fluid change see if it eliminates the rest of my worries... lol

tamay, you gotta take it easy man.. although i really think s2k's lack the torque, it suprises me that the shafts are so weak! ):

Member Array
    Car:
    00' s2000
    yea i no man, it gets kind of annoying.
    well the drivers are usual half the blame aswell
    ay i can admit it. im young, i drive a nice car and i love the rush. i can admit that i am stupid sometimes..unlike sum people who claim 2 always b doing the right thing wen they r actually not lol
    they way i c it..the car is a weak as the driver.
    if u cant stop urself from being an idiot, then the car will pay the consequences.
    im learning to really re-think my habits and am really putting in the effort to enjoy cruising and not so much "being a hoon" as wat most are labelled as who have an interest in cars and motorsport..
    might end up going to a track day end of the year or will be buying a s13 i want so badly just so i can start going to drift days at winton and keep it off the street period.
    all in good time . for now...im just gonna focus on getting my act together becuase i will most likely be on a new diff and forced induction possibly end of the year

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1 , AP1
    it seems like lowering an s2k isnt a good idea. do most of these problems come up when u lower the s2k no matter at what height? just wondering cause im buying coilovers next week =]

Member Array
    Car:
    my06 wrx STi
    used OEM oil, lowering my car has caused damage to only scrapes and the tailshaft after almost 2 years with 20 inch rims, i got a full under the car inspection done at pedders for only $14 best money spent they said under the car there is nothing wrong with anything like bushes suspension shocks etc these things are preety tough but not much i can say about the diff i hear some bad stories