Banned Array
    Car:
    DN-01

Exclamation Hey guys i just bought a 1993 civic eg si.. and i need help :(

Hello people at ozhonda, i recently picked up a eg civic si for 4.5k$ its on 161,XXX kms and has service records up to 146,XXX at a honda dealer. Theres about 3 things bothering me:
    1- the clutch is still oem clutch it engages almost at the very top
    2- should i be worried about the timing belt? did it get renewed at the honda dealership on previous service visits?
    3- if the clutch and timing belt is goone what brands are good and what should i be looking in to buying.

By the looks of the service records, it was some old guy who owned the car because all the serivice intervals are on time at the same honda dealership, any reply would be useful to me.

thank you ozhonda members :]

Banned Array
    Car:
    DN-01
    any info regarding my problems would be very appriciated..

Banned Array
    Car:
    DN-01
    any info regarding my problems would be very appriciated..

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    if your unsure when the timing belt was replaced, just get it replaced for peace of mind.
    when you give the car a thrash, does it feel like the clutch is slipping alot? thats one way to know the clutch is on its way.
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    timing belt should have been done at 100k kms check the service logs. I would open the valve cover to inspect the belt.

i'd stick with oem items. cant go wrong
    just go to your local car spares store and ask

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by duzy View Post
    timing belt should have been done at 100k kms check the service logs. I would open the valve cover to inspect the belt.

i'd stick with oem items. cant go wrong
    just go to your local car spares store and ask

Agreed. Stick to your OEM parts. If you want to do little mods on your Civic then you could get an Exedy HD clutch, which isn't too much more expensive than OEM. But for belt, water pump, gaskets etc go OEM.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    the clutch may be engaging right at the top, but the key thing is whether its slipping or not, and if it is properly disengaging... If it is not properly disengaging your gears will crunch

A simple test to check slipping is to stop your car on level ground, pull up your handbrake, engage 5th gear and quickly disengage then engage your clutch, if the car doesnt stall straight away you are slipping

With regards to your timing belt, if your log books dont state that its been changed to spec, then have it changed

OEM is good, but it depends what you are using the car for, it might be a good time to put a heavier clutch if it suits your needs, but still to OEM for the belt
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316