Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R

How to change tranny fluid?

Can anyone give me a brief instruction of how to change the transmission fluid, I have a 93' Civic GL Manual.

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    cb3 Accord
    Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Ok I did this yesterday for the first time. So I can't really give you an experts opinion. But I can tell you what I did and the troubles I had being a first timer. I'm going by memory, so you will want to double check the torque settings and stuff.

If you don't know where the gearbox is, it's bolted onto the engine on the left hand side looking at the car from the front. If you look underneath you will see two rods coming from the area of the bottom of the gear stick to the side of it.

Turn on the car until it heats up just like for the engine oil.

Jack up the front of the car on floor stands.

Get a fair bit of newspaper or something to protect your floor. It will probably get pretty messy.

Get your oil tray in position under the gearbox.

Slide in under the car if you're not already there and locate the fill bolt and the drain bolts on the side of the gearbox. The fill bolt will be above and to the left of the drain bolt. It is 17mm I think. The drain bolt isn't a normal bolt. You have to use the straight square socket drive on a 3/8" (i think) ratchet.

Undo the fill bolt. This was a real bitch on mine. Ended up using the longest handle I had and doing it down from the top of the engine bay. Oil poured out of here when I took it off. I assume because of expansion?? So have the tray ready underneath.
    Undo the drain bolt and leave it to drain for a while. I then lowered the car so it was level to let it finish draining. (Dunno if you really have to do this)

Jack it back up and put the drain bolt back in (29foot pound). You should replace the washers for both the bolts aswell. I had a look at repco and autobarn with no luck so you'll have to get them from honda.

Now this was the hard bit. I got this funnel with a long bendy nozzle and sort of jammed it in and bent it up into the engine bay from the top. Still wasn't a very good seal but there was more oil going in than out. Next time I will probably try and get some good sized tubing and stick a small funnel in the top. I then slowly poured in the Honda mtf. Check your user manual for the oil capacity but it should be around 1.8L.

Once I had poured about that much in, probably a bit more, I got underneath with the fill bolt and quickly took off the funnel and stuck on the bolt. Oil kind of went everywhere but I think I got about the right amount in. Tighten the fill bolt (33foot pounds). If you want to check the level, the user manual says to stick your finger in the fill bolt and see if the oil is level with the bottom edge of the hole. But since the car was sloped up on floor stands etc I didn't do that.

And thats about it I think. Hope this helps. Please correct me at all as I would like any advice to make it easier for next time aswell.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 02-01-2005 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Add disclaimer

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    make sure the car is level when your filling up the gear box,

nice write up Eclipsor

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen2 CRX, MR2, IS250
    if u want INSANELY smooth gear shifting... buy urself some redline MT90..
    That stuff ROCKS!!!
    espensive but well worth it

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Yeah all sounds good that's how i did it before. I did squeeze in abit more in before i put the bolt back on but that was just me.....

Yeah i think the redline stuff would be great and since you don't always change it often it is well worth the protection and performance.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up there

CHeck the Articles forum for a writeup I did on changing an Input shaft bearing. That has some pics in it.

It also shows another way of filling up the tranny via the vehicle speed sensor (a bit easier to get a funnel into)
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq