Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak

Oh noes my car has two diff vin numbers

ive bought a unregoed car to be my project for the next few years but i need to get it on the road first.
    grabbed it for under 1k, leaking radiator and cracked winscreen gunna replace them asap.

only thing is. ive got two diff vin numbers >_>
    one of them being the honda given one starting with JHM (or something like that) but thats invalid doesnt come up on the vin number status check

the other one is inscribed on the car, this one comes up on vicroads. starting with 6D9REB
    im a bit worried registering this car i wouldnt be able to :S
    the 6D9REB vin number comes up on vehicle status check, and the engine number and all. even the expired rego number plate came up (exactly the same plate i saw on the car when inspecting before the previous owner took it off)

whats going on here?! two vin numbers?!!?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Have you called VicRoads about it?

Is it possible to be issued with a new VIN?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    ive never seen a honda vin number starting with 6D9REB before. i would call up your local roads authority to see whats the deal with the vin numbers.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    just called up vicroads, the numbers n shit match again >_>, says its not stolen or not written off. quoted the same engine number, 6D9REB, colour and make year n make.
    GAH this is going no where im getting no help at all or explanation >_>

Member Array
    Car:
    rolling shell
    Could be under the rebuild scheme or whatever. Where Vicraods gives you a new Vin number?

That was how they registered imports back then by giving it a new vin number and erasing the old one.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 crx
    1.The first three character of your vin is the WMI (World manufacturer identifier) - 6D9 signifies the state VIN originated or was given that VIN, which is in your case Victoria.
    For example:
    6A9, 6B9, 6C9 - NSW
    6D9, 6E9, 6S9 - VIC
    6F9, 6H9, 6R9 - QLD
    6G9, 6P9 - SA
    6J9, 6N9 - WA
    6K9 - NT
    6L9 - TAS
    6M9 - ACT
    2. The next 3 to 6 characters are your vehicle identifiers (incidents, repairs, import, stolen, rebuild)
    in your case you may have bought a chassis which has been given a new VIN, back in the 90s they vicroads allowed cars to be registered under a rebuild scheme.
    3. The next 2 number should be the year of when that VIN was issued ( most likely in the 90s)
    Hope this helps...
    I can tell you now that this car cannot be registered in NSW. But vicroads should reregister it as long as it pass roadworthy, as it has been registered before.

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbm View Post
    1.The first three character of your vin is the WMI (World manufacturer identifier) - 6D9 signifies the state VIN originated or was given that VIN, which is in your case Victoria.
    For example:
    6A9, 6B9, 6C9 - NSW
    6D9, 6E9, 6S9 - VIC
    6F9, 6H9, 6R9 - QLD
    6G9, 6P9 - SA
    6J9, 6N9 - WA
    6K9 - NT
    6L9 - TAS
    6M9 - ACT
    2. The next 3 to 6 characters are your vehicle identifiers (incidents, repairs, import, stolen, rebuild)
    in your case you may have bought a chassis which has been given a new VIN, back in the 90s they vicroads allowed cars to be registered under a rebuild scheme.
    3. The next 2 number should be the year of when that VIN was issued ( most likely in the 90s)
    Hope this helps...
    I can tell you now that this car cannot be registered in NSW. But vicroads should reregister it as long as it pass roadworthy, as it has been registered before.

YOU SIR ARE A SON OF A GUN THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE!
    rep for you!

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 crx
    No problem!
    Pm me if u have further questions.... I,ve had similar problems last time I bought an interstate car and couldn't rego it here in nsw. I had to sell car back in Vic. Big headache but u should be alright, as ur in Victoria.
    Call vicroads, tell them you need more info about the car.
    Your car should have an engineer certification for it to be registered ( tell them it should be in the archive)
    They gave me a 26 page engineer Cert. when I asked for it.

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    what the heck? engineers cert? but why?
    this cars stock standard nothing aftermarket about this baby.
    or at least i think.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbm View Post
    For example:
    6A9, 6B9, 6C9 - NSW
    6D9, 6E9, 6S9 - VIC
    6F9, 6H9, 6R9 - QLD
    6G9, 6P9 - SA
    6J9, 6N9 - WA
    6K9 - NT
    6L9 - TAS
    6M9 - ACT
    Hope this helps...
    lmao, i agree with cheapdouchebag, this is one of the best responses i've ever seen on ozhonda. i had to deal with similar stuff once, and it was extremely hard to get straight answers on it. thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 crx
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapdouchebag View Post
    what the heck? engineers cert? but why?
    this cars stock standard nothing aftermarket about this baby.
    or at least i think.
    The car has been rebuild/repaired at some point... My old car had 3 VINs
    1 from the original import shell with no compliance
    2 from an Australian delivered repairable write-off
    3 stamped VIN issued by vicroads in 96
    This required an eng certificate to make sure car meets ADRs standard.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 crx
    Any update on this?