Buying a DC5 What to look for?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new here, have had an old honda for a while but was never into it too much as it was a fairly old Accord (1990). I have decided it is now time to upgrade to a newer honda. I'm the only one in my car 90% of the time so I've decided to down size, and a DC5 Integra is highest on my list at the moment.

Over the next few weeks I'll be shopping around for a good automatic Integra that I can find for my budget ($15-$20k) and am wondering if there are anything I should be looking out for before and while taking it out for a test drive. I will of course have the car taken for a vehicle inspection, but I would like to prescreen them before I do.

Thinks are looking for are specific things like say... I know that theres suppose to be a 80K/48 Mth Service that is quite costly so it's best I check if that service has been done, or in manual models there are some problems with 2nd and 3rd gear and some parts have to be replaced (wondering as well, does this apply to automatic models?).

Thank you and I look forward to being an active participant in this forum when the right Integra comes my way!
    Last edited by Razvioli; 22-08-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: more details

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    buy a dc5r for 20k.

and get it compression tested. rev's and check all financial owings on the car.

besides that man everytime you buy a "used " car. get all fluids changed.

from gbox to engine oil to radiator to brake fluids. everything..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    what's the compression test?

Thanks for the input. I will definitely have all liquids changed when I get mine. Looking at the moment and theres not many out there in Vic, wanting to buy with a dealer as I expect to have a hard time selling my old car.

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    DC5 Type R and Type S don't come in Automatic.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc5
    should consider Rs and Ss if u dont mind getting a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post
    DC5 Type R and Type S don't come in Automatic.
    Actually there is 1 Automatic Type R and Type S...
    Special Request by customers who were willing to pay extra.

Quote Originally Posted by asshat View Post
    what's the compression test?
    compression test basically tells you how healthy the engine is. generally the result of the compression test should be within a certain range of numbers for the engine to be considered in good condition. i don't know the exact range of numbers off the top of my head.. i'll see if i can find it for you later tonight.

also do a leakdown test, from what i understand it's purpose is similar to that of a compression test but it looks at engine health by isolating variables that are included in the compression test(one of which is battery health etc.).

please correct me if i'm wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5-R
    check that the spare tyre well isnt rusty from water leakage, gears (on a manual) doesnt crunch and if you're testing during the wet, see if you get that vibrating noise. Also check to make sure the engine mounts are broken. If I knew these tips when I was buying one, it wouldve saved me some efforts and time. Good luck on the purchase

Quote Originally Posted by acurabot View Post
    check that the spare tyre well isnt rusty from water leakage, gears (on a manual) doesnt crunch and if you're testing during the wet, see if you get that vibrating noise. Also check to make sure the engine mounts are broken. If I knew these tips when I was buying one, it wouldve saved me some efforts and time. Good luck on the purchase
    sometimes its not so obvious with just checking the spare tyre, look underneath it as well. If there is a jack present, check it for rusts because the water from the tailights will run down the jack and pretty much turn it brown.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    in addition to the above check the actual tail light housings for water leakage (whether it be condensation or significant amounts of water). i had to get both of mine replaced under warranty because they completely filled up with water (surprised the bulbs didn't fail).

If looking at a type S I would also recommend you thoroughly inspect the gearbox for any difficulty shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It can be difficult to shift up or down into either 2nd or 3rd gear or it may be as bad as a noticeable "crunch". It is a common problem with the DC5S gearbox and I'm not exactly sure why it happens but i know of a few cars it has affected including my own. Honda actually replaced my entire gearbox under warranty. They didn't, however, cover the clutch which was damaged due to the synchros wearing. I can assure you this is not due to driving style as I purchased the car from my mother and had the work done within 5000 kms of owning the car myself. The shifting difficulty was noticeable when my Mum owned the car and worsened over time. A good way of checking is to get transmission fluid changed and inspect existing fluid for metal shavings.

Regards,
    Reece

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc5
    im going to agree with every one else and tell you to get a dc5r, i got a dc5 and im wishing that i had a type r

just make sure vtec kicks in