Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR

DIY: Removing stock airbox and resonator from EK Civic

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Remove the stock resonator piping. The point of this is after installing my short ram pod intake, the resonator was useless (it supposed to reduce induction noise for your stock airbox).

Required:

Tools:
    - Screwdrivers - philips and flathead
    - Wrench and various sized sockets (sorry bout the technical terms )

Other:
    Optional of course, but safety is key
    - Safety goggles
    - Gloves

Steps:

To remove the resonator, you will have to remove your stock airbox, bumper and a part of the rubber/mud guards underneath the car.

1. Remove your stock airbox if you haven't yet. I already removed mine and have a short ram intake installed already, but i'll still show you how to do it here.

Using a wrench and 10mm socket (i think, most of the bolts on the civic are 10mm), undo the two bolts shown. Then using a screwdriver, loosen the ring which attaches the intake piping to the intake manifold.

2. Now you'll be able to wriggle the box and intake pipe off quiet easily (hope i haven't forgot any bolts, did this a while ago...). It should look sumfing like this... the pic still has the piping section attached to the intake manifold.

At this point, it's probably easiest to begin removal of the resonator as there is no intake blocking your workspace. So to do this, we need to remove the bumper first.

3. Using a philips screwdriver, remove the five plastic screws from the top of the grille. EDIT: Also remove the two plastic screws holding the bumper on the sides of the grille. Then using the flathead, pop off the rest of the plastic tabs.

4. Remove the single screw/bolt in the wheel fender that's attached to the bumper. There's one on each side... you mite have to turn the wheel to get to it.

5. Finally, remove the last two bolts (10mm) at the bottom of the bumper... Once done, the bumper should come off quite easily.

6. To remove the resonator, there are three bolts. 1 in the engine bay attached to a brass bracket, 1 on the side and 1 at the bottom... all should be 10mm. The bottom one is tricky, it's kinda covered by the rubber flap underneath, so you'll need to move the flap to a side to remove the bolt.

There's also the brass looking bracket holding the resonater in the engine bay, you can remove that too... it doesn't do anything else.

7. Now the resonator should be loose. However, i thought u could pull the damn thing out, but the plastic/rubber mud flaps at the bottom of the car is in the way. So you'll need to remove the two plastic tabs holding the two pieces. Use a flat head, pry out the centre bit a little, then pop the whole thing out. They're similar to the plastic tabs on top of the gille, just not screwed in that's all. You'll know wot i mean when u do it. Once those two are out, the resonator can come out easily. DONE!

FINISHED PIC COMING TMRW!!!

8. Now you can either put back everything and do everything in reverse. Or, you can install a new intake while the stock box is out... maybe short ram, cold air intake, dunno... up to you.

For now, that's it. I'm planning to chuck in a rubber piping to allow cold air to flow from the bumper up to my intake/engine bay, and also make a heat shield of sum sort for my pod... But all that is coming soon

Hope this has helped the many ppl who have installed aftermarket air filters.

Cheerio

EDIT: Added a missing part in step 3.
    Last edited by EK9; 07-01-2005 at 02:21 AM.
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW021
    Nicely done Vinh.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    i've actually done this myself as well with mugsee a while back... I never removed the resonator though... was scared of water getting into the engine bay

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    N e one got this for an EG???

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    i've actually done this myself as well with mugsee a while back... I never removed the resonator though... was scared of water getting into the engine bay
    Well the resonator doesn't do anything, and it's not blocking water either. You can see the mud flap/lining at the bottom, it blocks water from getting in that part. Can't c how water would get in any other way... And the engine bay is already exposed to water from the bottom! I've got water splash marks on my chrome intake arm... LOL!
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Quote Originally Posted by aimre
    N e one got this for an EG???
    Well it should be similar... I just did everything myself, no help needed for these things imo. Just look for all the nuts and bolts and don't pull anything too hard if it doesn't wanna come out Civics are built similarly anyways...
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    Finished my intake project... for now

Here are the rest of the pics.

Resonator completely removed

Piping installed to feed cold air.

Probably wont stick with this setup, but it'll do for now
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Moderator - here to help Array
    EK9, can you make a mention that having a pod filter WITHOUT an AIR BOX is a defect for NSW people? just so people dont ask over and over again.
    Want to improve OH's website? Make a thread in the site discussion forum.

Know of a nice ride and think it should be featured? Send me a PM.

Hand out PQ points where deserved. Info HERE.

Provide feedback when buying/selling from OH members. Info HERE.

Subscribe to OH and benefit. Info HERE.

OzHonda Terms and Conditions HERE.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    i guess you've mentioned it already

as i understand, it's a similar law for Vic, an exposed filter is illegal. other states, i got no idea... Mine's pictured like that cos i removed mine

oh and remember, that's y there's the disclaimer at the top of every writeup

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

nice work Vinh

PS to all DC/EG owners - taking ut the resonator + airbox etc is VERY similar - only difference is the first step ( which is a few less bolts). Very straight forward...

Banned Array
    Car:
    Mud Crow
    Nice Writup man!

Although if I had a genuine EK9 i wouldn't **** around with shit. Id leave it be. But thats just me.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    i'm sure if u had an EK9 for a while, you'll wanna mod it...
    i'm not doin anything nasty, just undoin a few bolts here and there, then adding other bits n pieces. of course, i can bring it back to stock easily, no probs.
    arrowz

OTO-KREW