Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    08 CL9

[CL9]Not a happy Friday... Tow truck totally f**cked up my front end

Hi all,

First and foremost, I am not posting here to get sympathy, but rather advice on what avenues I can take in sorting out what happened tonight.

Story goes: Parked my car on Princes Highway, St Peters and after 3pm it becomes a clear way for Southbound lanes. I totally forgot about my car (boardroom meeting) and I got out at 4:30pm only to know my car was missing. I called the Tow truck company and they advised it had been towed to the next street on the left. That's fine, I will pay the towing fee, if I have caused traffic jams etc I'm liable for it.

But I didn't expect my car to be like this:

I rang the RTA - they advised I submit all pictures and a quote for the repair bill to compensate 'some' damage. WTF?

I'm confused whether I should call my insurance company (AAMI - full comprehensive) or go through different options? Any advice would be appreciated.

Criticism is welcome... yes my car is lowered, but hell, where is the duty of care?
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    Have you tried clipping the front bar back on?
    The driver side probably has the screw in the wheel-well part broken but it should still clip back into place.

My front bar clips off occassionally when i go into steep driveways.

If you go through insurance without any further details (drivers licence, address) of the other driver, you will have to pay excess for the claim, which isnt worth it imo.
    Get the compensation through RTA. Write down information as to who you spoke to, which tow company etc otherwise they will try to back out from the payment/compensation.

My advice, get the compensation and just see if you can clip the front bar into place. Dont go through insurance unless you have the other driver/tow companys info.

BTW, if RTA is going to want photos or inspection, make sure you raise the car. They can say that its because your ride height is below the legal limit, thus the damage was brought on by your car being too low. Make sure you have 100mm+ clearance at lowest point of car to ground.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    08 CL9
    Thanks snYpz,

I've tried clipping the bumper back, but I'm certain the damage is beyond what I hoped for. In saying that, I'll drive to some smash repairs on the weekend and get a quote done.

With regards to the RTA, I'm certain the car is 100mm clearance, although I'll get this double checked.

Hopefully I can get this settled... much appreciated man.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV Luxury
    They are not allowed to damage your car. Speak to your insurance company about what you can do. If you make a claim, they'll arrange repairs and then take-on the tow truck company themselves.

I am glad I live where this kind of thing does not happen. No towing here. Just a fine.
    SPQR
    The first ever Whiteline RSB pattern for CL9 Euro.
    The world first ever after market RSB for RE4 CRV.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    08 CL9
    Speaking with my Insurance company is something I considered but I'm cautious about the drawbacks i.e. - car lowered without being advised etc etc

I've got the Towing slip the **** attached on my windscreen. It states a picture was taken (I'm assuming this would be prior to towing - to prove my offence for illegal parking) so I can use this as evidence that my car was NOT damaged prior to towing.

Anyways, any more advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    I wouldnt be too concerned regarding the insurance and the suspension. The worst case scenario is the insurance company wont pay for your damage (which wouldnt be that much in this case). However, if your insurance company can obtain the details of the towing company, your insurance company will deal with insurance of the tow company, thus the insurance of the tow company pays for damage.

Your front bar still looks in pretty good condition, too bad it doesnt clip back in. Would be an easy fix.

PS: Let me know if you have 100mm clearance, its similar to my ride height lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro
    Far out, that looks bad.

They must have done some bad damage to it for it not to clip back in. Had someone do a hit and run on my car in the carpark once, luckily i managed just to clip it back into place but am left with a scar =(

Hope it gets all fixed up for you, get as much compensation as you can for that. Shouldn't cost too much to fix

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    I have three words for you. A CURRENT AFFAIR!

Edit: so if they took a photo before your car was damaged with your current height and then you find out your car was below legal limit and you raise it, won't they get you on that?
    Last edited by Cynosure; 28-08-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro
    did it cause a water leak also?

Member Array
    Car:
    07 CL9
    off topiic...i'm with aami and i've told them that i have lowered the car, it dosen't change your premiums... in the event i have to make a claim i want my eibachs.. you're acutally doing the insurance a favor if you don't tell them, so i recommend you tell them about all mods..
    -------Black CL9 07 ltd edt----------

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    i would have filed a report with your insurance company as it is bordering on malicious damage.Thats what you pay full comp insurance for.

Member Array
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro (LUX)
    my experience with aami is that if you have mods and it's not listed on your insurance, they'll just add it on when you make the claim.

also would reporting this to the cops help in any way?