Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motor!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 1992

What motor!

Well im now trying to work out what Engine I should get for my eg4 hatch. I have done a little research and been told a few things... Ive been told the B18c vtec is just a weapon and dont really need to turbo it. And from looking around here the b16a is a wikied motor and is nice when its turbo.

What im after is a powerful motor that has the potential to be a decent track car. Not a show stopper or race winner. Just something for a good boys weekend at the track. But be able to get me around everyday. Also I would like something that is a bolt in. Yeah I know I gotta change gearbox/drive shafts, ecu, engine loom and all that. So what are you thoughts on what motor I should be looking at??

Next little question im currently running the twin carb vtec in my eg. This means I need to upgrade my fuel pump as its not good enough for a EFI system. Do I need to upgrade my tank as well or just the fuel pump?

Thanks for all your help! Ill have a build thread going in a couple of days. Moving house and everything is semi packed up.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Track duties = suspension man. Get some front/rear sway bars and strut braces. Check your suspension bushes and get some high-temp brake pads

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    r u gunna turbo or not?
    if so go b16a if not go b18cr either way u wont regret it

and to add to what dougie is saying about brakes, you would also want to upgrade your brake system if your going to the track, generally you look at the donor car
    ie, if you get a b18cr you want ITR brakes and if ur gunna get b16a you would want ek4 brakes
    Last edited by ninzee; 01-09-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    B18c are pretty much priced same as B16 so the choice is really upto you, get a half cut if u want the best from that donor car
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    IMO B18C2 is the same price-range as a B16A, but B18C7 or JDM B18C is more expensive by a good $3g +/-

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    j series

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Best for track IMO is JDM B18C/B18C7 or B20VTEC

Member Array
    Car:
    09 City Vti-L
    for a great daily with awesome track potential i would go the B18c of some sort... Buying a type R halfcut would net you a great brake upgrade to a 282mm front disc brake. with a nice high temp pad would pull up an EG in no time.

Remember to sort you suspension before you hit the track. for a daily swapping to a DC2R shock combo would alright, but if you plan to track i would look into an adjustable coilover set up. Speak to Gav at Honbits. he knows truck loads about track work and he's building a K20 EG track car as we speak.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Just can't get enough of these engine conversions.
    First a mini, now a civic.... Whats next??

Member Array
    Car:
    09 City Vti-L
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    IMO B18C2 is the same price-range as a B16A, but B18C7 or JDM B18C is more expensive by a good $3g +/-
    thats not just opinion, thats fact..... But when you consider the benefit of the type R engine..... Extra power, better gearbox ratios, LSD that 3k starts to seem worth it.
    Last edited by WA-EG; 01-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    stick with the suspension and brakes that we have talked about in the past

as the others have said - stick with your initial decision to get a AUDM Dc2 Type-R engine swap

being carby atm u will have to change to efi - fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump

also i have been seing some really cheap swaybar and lca combos going around in the WTS section on this site man ... u really need to get ur head in there and stay on MSN =D

that being said someone is selling a k24/k20a frankenstein setup in perth in the WTS section atm for only $4k which is epic cheap =O
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    that being said someone is selling a k24/k20a frankenstein setup in perth in the WTS section atm for only $4k which is epic cheap =O
    lol yea but dont forget he will need a gb, im and tb and a kpro to accully go anywhere, thats at least another 3.5k not incl labor
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance

Member Array
    Car:
    09 City Vti-L
    Quote Originally Posted by ninzee View Post
    lol yea but dont forget he will need a gb, im and tb and a kpro to accully go anywhere, thats at least another 3.5k not incl labor
    very true but if thats all you had to spend to have a K powered EG you're long way ahead. a B18 swap is going to cost you 6k for halfcut plus labour if you cant do the work your self. pretty sure a K EG will monster a B series EG.....