Member Array
    Car:
    2004 Honda Integra Luxury

Water in DC5 tail lights..how to remove?

Just realized there is water inside the tail light housing of my dc5 (both sides) lol

how do i remove the tail lights housing so i can empty the water? I will go to Honda and see if they can work out where the water is coming in from. There are no holes in the housings and they have never been removed before.....
    2004 Integra DC5 Luxury Alabaster/Satin Silver

Find this post useful? Give me some rep points

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Its a common problem on DC5's.
    The tail light gasket has deteriorated causing the water to leak into the taillights, and also (sometimes) the boot, under the spare wheel.
    You'll need to change the taillight gasket (which is about $20, or so) and empty the water from the taillights (which is a bitch to do).

Either DIY (see below), to take it to Honda if you can't be bothered.

1.) First, you'll have to remove your rear bumper (which is easy, just a few screws and clips).
    2.) Take off the taillight access lids (just pull really hard).
    3.) Turn the bulb sockets (of each taillight) counterclockwise to release bulb sockets.
    4.) Remove the two screws on the underside of the taillights (that hold them in).
    5.) Replace gasket with new ones.
    6.) Put everything back together.

Member Array
    Car:
    2004 Honda Integra Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by DC5.Raven View Post
    Its a common problem on DC5's.
    The tail light gasket has deteriorated causing the water to leak into the taillights, and also (sometimes) the boot, under the spare wheel.
    You'll need to change the taillight gasket (which is about $20, or so) and empty the water from the taillights (which is a bitch to do).

Either DIY (see below), to take it to Honda if you can't be bothered.

1.) First, you'll have to remove your rear bumper (which is easy, just a few screws and clips).
    2.) Take off the taillight access lids (just pull really hard).
    3.) Turn the bulb sockets (of each taillight) counterclockwise to release bulb sockets.
    4.) Remove the two screws on the underside of the taillights (that hold them in).
    5.) Replace gasket with new ones.
    6.) Put everything back together.
    I will ask honda to fix this since my service is very soon and i think it is still under warrenty
    2004 Integra DC5 Luxury Alabaster/Satin Silver

Find this post useful? Give me some rep points

Member Array
    Car:
    rolling shell
    If its under warranty, it's all good =]

But if your planning to do a diy.

Follow the steps above posted by dc5.raven

But also remember to completely dry out the headlights prior to putting everything back together.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    you dont have to remove the rear bumper,
    i did mine without removing it.

just get under the car, with a long screwdriver, and you can reach the screws.
    its real easy, then just shake all the water out, and then i used a blow dryer, 2 blow it out 100% dry.

make sure the gasket gets replaced, like dc5raven said, other wise its just gonna happen again..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 Integra Type
    yeah dont remove the rear bar mate absolutely no need! i take mine out once every couple of weeks and give them a good shake and then put in a plastic box in sun with some of those moisture evaporators that they put in boxes and food and that will help.. If you use a hair dryer to much it can warp the plastic so be careful.. Replacing the gasket will help but it will eventually do it again.. Other options is that u drill 2 little holes in the tail lights and that can help but yeah definately get new gaskets!

$20.50ea from honda or $13 from http://www.oemacuraparts.com/ but u will have to pay about $25 shipping(only do if u need other parts and works out heaps cheaper)

part number -
    06336-S6M-305 / GASKET KIT, L. BASE
    06335-S6M-305 / GASKET KIT, R. BASE
    Last edited by mrntegra; 04-09-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: i forgot a word!
    My DC5 type S mods - so far...
    Red H badges/J's Racing Strut&Engine Damper/Gruppe M/Buddy Club RSD/J's Rear Strut/J's Camber Arms/JDM rear Floor bar/EP3r Front Sway

Drills 2 little holes in each taillight...
    Watch the magic..
    Problem solved.

Create mock stand, place hair dryer positioned in hole, turn on. Wait 30 min, magic.

Or drill two holes. in the lower corner.