Buying an Integra Help

Hey all,
    I am new to the concept of Honda's and Integra's (type r), however, from what i have read and seen, they seem to be fantastic cars with plenty of power and a perfect car for a 19 year old such as myself.
    Im looking to spend around $16,000, getting myself a stock Integra with around about 100,000kms, either dc2 or 5.
    1. Im just wondering what sort of Integra; year, km, condition, etc i could get for that amount.
    2. What things should i look for specific to Integras that may be wrong with the car, if any.

Thanks heaps
    Last edited by Jebus009; 07-09-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    they are great cars ( dont own one yet ) but yeah
    with 16 grand you should prolly be looking at a decent later model dc2r, you could get your hands on a dc5 but probably not the type r unless u increase ur budget a little or get something with alot more kms, tbh if i had the choice with ur budget id get myself the dc2r, cause firstly its a type r and it also is kinda the icon for the type r badge ( although i prefer the dc5 r personal taste ) wouldnt suggest getting a dc5 if its not a type r as they are pretty much a eco box with a sports car chasis.
    cant really help with your second question, but i believe u should get a compression test, look for good service records etc stuff like that but apart from that if they have been taken care of then they are a pretty sweet car
    im sure others on this forum would give u a better idea of what to look for and stuff
    hope that helps and gluck with ur purchase =D

Thanks for the help, i need as much as i can get

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    No probs mate =D others are helping me out with my choice of first car
    Im stuck on what i will buy i am trying to decide between ep3 r dc5 r and rx8
    Have a look at my thread in noob forum of dc5 r vs rx8
    Im 18 atm with 23 k of hard earned cash to play with 3 years of sacrifice with no help from parents =D

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_James View Post
    Im 18 atm with 23 k of hard earned cash to play with 3 years of sacrifice with no help from parents =D
    Have you driven an rx8 yet? imo vtec pulls harder even with its lack of torque

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_James View Post
    With 23k cash i would put it in a long term savings account and save it for your home loan when that day comes to buy a house you will have no problems =) plus you get pretty good intrest on 23k long term

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    you can take 23k and get my 190kw dc2r k swap with heaps of goodies.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    In regard to qeustion 1 of ur first post... Your only looking at dc2r . //

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    Nope havent driven one yet buhh yerr
    Cheers for the advice guys much apreciated but this is jebus009 s thread lets help him out any advice for me please post in my thread dc5r vs rx8 in noob forums cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Common things to look for are:
    • Thermostat: is the car warming up correctly?
    • CV Joints: Are the boots split and/or is it making clicking sounds in sharp turns?
    • VTEC: Is it engaging? (yes, it can stop working.)
    • Service History: Have all the necessary things been done? (e.g. car with 130,000kms, has the timing belt been done? possibly head gasket?)
    • Accident History: Check in the spare tire well, around the radiator, under the car (chassis rails) look for any mangled parts or dodgy repairs and look for any slight colour differences between panels.
    • Smoke Test: Watch the exhaust pipe as the car warms up, white puffs and a little bit of water is pretty normal as it's just condensation, blue smoke is oil and means somethings worn. When the car is warmed up, get someone to rev the engine up to different points with your hand behind the exhaust pipe (don't touch the pipe haha) and watch for smoke or oil residue. Finally get someone to drive the car past you with decent acceleration (preferably VTEC it) and watch for smoke, blue smoke at high RPM is usually worn valve seals, black smoke means its running rich and needs a tune. (However a tiny bit of black smoke at VTEC isn't really something I'd worry about.)
    • Oil Leaks: Thoroughly check the engine for leaks, valve cover, head, VTEC solenoid, distributor, sump and gearbox.
    • Rust: Make sure there is no rust on the vehicle, signs are usually bubbling paint in small areas of the body, flaking paint with obvious rust underneath, little brown dots sometimes behind magnetic P and L plates. (Yes, one of the cars I looked at had this, lol)
    • How the car has been treated: One way to do this, get the owner to take you for a drive and see how he/she drives it. This is a good way to see how they treat it, if they flog its guts out to show off the power to you then they most likely treat it like that a lot. Just make sure you don't say anything to them about it haha.

This is most of the stuff I looked for when buying my DC2. Make a checklist! Hopefully it helps you.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    N/A is best
    get a dc5r and you wont look back
    Gotta have 1
    No Comment