Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by vvxtam View Post
    If your a P-Plater , you won't be able to drive the Mazda Rx8 has 1308cc which is over the "a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications"
    oh but i checked rta and its not restricted plus i have a friends boyfriend who drives one and he is on red Ps this is in nsw btw

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm928 View Post
    rotary = rebuild every 6-12months

seriously.

i would get a rx8. why. because rx8 over dc5r.. LOL
    rather go dc2r over rx8 but

dc5r = get your seats stolen parking at woolies LOL
    rx8 = no one steals shit LOL
    hahahahaa but seriously is it really rebuild every half to a year ? sorry im noob =(

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    s2k ?

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-0636 View Post
    s2k ?
    haha nahh great car but need something that can carry friends and maybe family too two seater doesnt help
    and also im 6 foot 2 heard it would be a very tight squeeze for me lols
    buhh yeahh just choosing between Dc5 R or Rx8

Member Array
    Car:
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_James View Post
    oh but i checked rta and its not restricted plus i have a friends boyfriend who drives one and he is on red Ps this is in nsw btw
    ah true, my bad thought u were in qld :P

but yea its really up to your personal opinion i guess.

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by vvxtam View Post
    ah true, my bad thought u were in qld :P

but yea its really up to your personal opinion i guess.
    mmm damn wished this could be easier i love different aspects of both cars just dunno which aspects of which car i love more and is willing to sacrifices others for =(

Member Array
    Car:
    2001 Dc2R
    haha nahh great car but need something that can carry friends and maybe family too two seater doesnt help
    and also im 6 foot 2 heard it would be a very tight squeeze for me lols
    buhh yeahh just choosing between Dc5 R or Rx8
    if you want to carry friends and family around + the height of your self, an rx8 is going to be the tightest sqeeze

dc5r will have more room, plus when it comes to reliability, hondas will always be more reliable

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    LOADED KIENTTTT!
    dc5 R would be a better choice
    rx8's are sexy as f'k but at the same time dissappointing, performance and mechanically
    ma frends 8 was at the mech half the time he had it, and apparently according to him, majority of the cars at that workshop were 8's

the rx7 was legendary, but they f'ed it up with the 8

how bad are the reliability issues? mmm yeah thats why i am soo tempted cause i want a car that is sporty but with a somewhat luxury interior and the dc5 doesnt really offer the luxury interior where as the rx8 does as its a sports luxury =D
    if you want luxury interior like leather seats while being sporty why not dc5s?
    i always thought the dc5 had more back space.. i have to taxi friends around in my dc2 cos they don't all have cars and we usually car pool to save petrol and it's not that bad at the back. they'll get used to it.. i mean if you are going to buy a car, buy it for yourself rather than the people who are going to be sitting in it.

also i personally don't think rx8 is a good daily at all.. you should do some research as to what is involved in maintaining it.. from the top of my head (someone please correct me if i'm wrong..)
    -its not just the petrol.. its the cost of oil too. rotaries drink oil like crazy and you'll find yourself having to have oil in your boot to top it up like every few weeks or so which can add up..
    -rotary engines weren't really made to be for daily cars IMHO. apparently you'd have to properly warm it up and then red line it at least once every time you take it out to prevent carbon build up... this can cause many problems in the future which are expensive to fix. (the carbon build up that is.)
    -before turning it off you have to do like cool down laps, so basically, imagine wanting to go to your friend's house who just lives down the street. you'd have to like drive for 15 minutes to warm it up, red line it, and then drive for another 10 minutes to warm it down.. how troublesome.
    -this also means that if your car is in the way of someone else's car you can't just hop in, move it a few metres and then turn the engine off. Else you'll get something like oil flooding or something? don't remember the exact term but it had flooding in it. basically you have to do all this fancy stuff like rev it to 5k and hold it there for like a few seconds etc before you can turn it off.
    -there might be more problems which i don't remember..

and yes apparently you'll be spending ALOT of money on rebuilding the engine. a lot of rotary owners do mention that rotaries are quite reliable if they are properly taken care of but there is quite a lot of trouble, time and money involved in maintaining it.
    so it's up to you whether you want to go through all of this for a daily driver..

most importantly, (and i know every other helpful response will say this too) take them both for a test drive and see what you like. no point having a nice interior that you like and being able to taxi people around without complaining if you are going to get bored of driving it..

on another note. APPARENTLY(this is what i've heard from a friend, please don't quote me on it..) rx8 are a lot more forgiving in corners for a rwd and handle really well (is it because of traction control?) and SOME people may think this takes the fun out of driving or something.

so to sum it up: IMHO dc5>rx8 as a daily.
    Last edited by rice_spirit; 04-09-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i was also going to suggest the Dc5 Type-S

has more luxury, looks better, has a sunroof and the K20z1 is a nice engine =D

mates that have bought the Rx8 have tended to get rid of them again very quickly
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    NHB DC5R, FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by rice_spirit View Post
    if you want luxury interior like leather seats while being sporty why not dc5s?
    i always thought the dc5 had more back space.. i have to taxi friends around in my dc2 cos they don't all have cars and we usually car pool to save petrol and it's not that bad at the back. they'll get used to it.. i mean if you are going to buy a car, buy it for yourself rather than the people who are going to be sitting in it.

also i personally don't think rx8 is a good daily at all.. you should do some research as to what is involved in maintaining it.. from the top of my head (someone please correct me if i'm wrong..)
    -its not just the petrol.. its the cost of oil too. rotaries drink oil like crazy and you'll find yourself having to have oil in your boot to top it up like every few weeks or so which can add up..
    -rotary engines weren't really made to be for daily cars IMHO. apparently you'd have to properly warm it up and then red line it at least once every time you take it out to prevent carbon build up... this can cause many problems in the future which are expensive to fix. (the carbon build up that is.)
    -before turning it off you have to do like cool down laps, so basically, imagine wanting to go to your friend's house who just lives down the street. you'd have to like drive for 15 minutes to warm it up, red line it, and then drive for another 10 minutes to warm it down.. how troublesome.
    -this also means that if your car is in the way of someone else's car you can't just hop in, move it a few metres and then turn the engine off. Else you'll get something like oil flooding or something? don't remember the exact term but it had flooding in it. basically you have to do all this fancy stuff like rev it to 5k and hold it there for like a few seconds etc before you can turn it off.
    -there might be more problems which i don't remember..

and yes apparently you'll be spending ALOT of money on rebuilding the engine. a lot of rotary owners do mention that rotaries are quite reliable if they are properly taken care of but there is quite a lot of trouble, time and money involved in maintaining it.
    so it's up to you whether you want to go through all of this for a daily driver..

most importantly, (and i know every other helpful response will say this too) take them both for a test drive and see what you like. no point having a nice interior that you like and being able to taxi people around without complaining if you are going to get bored of driving it..

on another note. APPARENTLY(this is what i've heard from a friend, please don't quote me on it..) rx8 are a lot more forgiving in corners for a rwd and handle really well (is it because of traction control?) and SOME people may think this takes the fun out of driving or something.

so to sum it up: IMHO dc5>rx8 as a daily.
    wow thanks for that =) much appreciated the problem is if i were to get the dc5 i wouldnt settle for anything but the type r ( personal preference )
    as for the rest hmmm the mazda does seem to have alot of problems with reliability and stuff but if taken care of it would be like any other car buhh it could become a hassle
    see the only thing that really puts me off the mazda is the sh*t house fuel economy ( normal driving and some spirited you get like 380km / 61 lt tank )
    i dont think i would mind too much about the hassles with maintanence otherwise i really do like the car
    however on the other hand the main reason that i am put off by the dc5 is the interior i dont think i can live with that xD * runs and hides * and the front wheel drive i know its possibly the best fwd car there is handling wise but the rwd of the mazda is just more attractive
    was considering the subaru impreza rs until i did some research and found out that it can be outdragged by a mazda sp23 ( less power and weighs more )
    this is such a hard decision just dont want to make the wrong decision and regret it =(

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    you are aware of the difference between the type-r and type-s in australia arnt you?

the type-s actually has better cams and a better exhaust - and it has more comfortable suspension and a better interior
    the aus Dc5R got the short end of the stick lol

for what you are describing i think you would love a type-s
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680