Catalytic Converter solution - Buddy Club Headers EP3R

Hi all,

before I start asking questions, I should really introduce myself first. Was a previous member (mainly a lurker) a few years ago when my current moneypincher of choice was a DC2R. Loved it, yet sold it for some reason I knew then but cant remember now.

Took a few years to come to my senses and recently purchased an EP3R as a second car, with a view to it being a steed for supersprint and ATC/track duties.

Car came with kakimoto exhaust, mated to buddy club headers. Nice enough setup, however as Im sure most of you know the Buddy club headers dont carry a cat converter.

So my question is whether anyone here can recommend a reasonable solution for having a cat installed, and from where. Im guessing a high flow solution of one of the typical brands, however I have already been to one of the better known exhaust shops in SW Sydney with no reasonable solution presented. Can the standard JDM spec cat be re-used if custom mounted? Or is this likely to be overly restrictive and defeat the purpose?

Any ideas? constructive suggestions much appreciated.
    Last edited by WMD; 04-09-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX SiR turbo
    so your headers connects straight onto where your catback would normally start?
    if so, you would need to cut a section out to flange in a cat or change your headers for a shorter one that accommodates a cat.. your dilemma

im pretty sure my cuz had the similar situation with his dc5r, toda headers n spoon exhaust.. he ended up chopping abit of the spoon b pipe to allow a high flow cat in.
    as for aftermarket cat's, ive only really seen magnaflow n metal cat that are readily available from work/shops. im using a metal cat
    NEW hondata s200. Melb only

thanks for the response.

yes- the setup bolts straight to what would normally be the catback section.

as per pic below taken from elsehwere.

the major issue I see is that the section of single pipe with the two exhaust sensor holes is not long enough to house an ordinary Aus spec cat. the system merges into one pipe reasonably far back, so a normal 1 hole in, 1 hole out cat doesnt suit without significant custom fabrication.

I can go down the path of having custom work done if there is no straight replacements available- if that is the case id be looking for recommendations if possible. Many exhaust shops in sydney that typically work on more straight forward cat installations are somewhat baffled (excuse the pun) by the concept.

just get a cat cut into your cat-back system with a couple of flanges cut in as well. Easy. yeah your cuttin up your kakimoto system but not much else you can do man.
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

seems a shorter, more compact cat may fit in, something around 8" or 9" total. magnaflow appear to have something that fits the bill- has anyone used or know of these?

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX SiR turbo
    not sure about the small magnaflow cats, but i know metal cat make something similar http://www.metalcat.com.au/, they dont come with flanges, so you can trim it to the size you need, flange it n bolt up or weld it directly to the start or the B pipe or end of the headers
    NEW hondata s200. Melb only

Thanks for the replies. Ended up having a hi-flow (200 I believe) short stainless steel unit installed at Cromer Exhausts (northern beaches Syd). Happily they turned it around nice and quickly for a reasonable price ($400 odd installed).

Was spliced into the single pipe section (same as in the above photo) with exhaust sensor thread inserted.

Newcomer Array
    sorry to interrupt but did you purchase your ep3 from someone called peter, its also got buddyclub p1's and hondata k pro?

hey are you running the oval shape kakimoto ?, and how dose it sound ? love kaki's but not sure how they sound on ep3's

Newcomer Array
    Quote Originally Posted by dkae View Post
    hey are you running the oval shape kakimoto ?, and how dose it sound ? love kaki's but not sure how they sound on ep3's
    ive test driven the ep3 with buddyclub header/injen/hondata k pro/ and kakimoto catback. its really quiet (at low revs) until you give it some.
    Int3gra-T "my dick shrivles up like i've been on biccies"