TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's

Honda to Offer Only Hybrid Version of Civic and Retire Other Models in Japan

taken from http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...-in-japan.html

Honda Motor Co. will halt the development of successor models to major name-brand vehicles and offer only the hybrid version of the Civic, as part of a broader push to consolidate its domestic lineup, The Nikkei subscription newspaper reported.

The aim is to free up business resources and bolster the development of green vehicles and low-priced cars bound for India and other emerging markets.

The automaker will roll out an all-new Civic worldwide around fall 2011, The Nikkei said. In Japan, however, only the hybrid version will be released because the company plans to discontinue the gas-powered Civics after the current model runs its course in the domestic market.
    Launched in 1972 as its first mass-market passenger car, the Civic has propelled the company's emergence as a top global automaker. But the car's sales in Japan have slumped to around 100 units a month lately, as consumers' interest has shifted to hybrids and subcompact cars.
    Honda will also discontinue the Legend sedan, its most luxurious offering in Japan, in light of sluggish sales amid the economic slump, The Nikkei said. It has also halted development of the Elysion, its top-of-the-line minivan in Japan, for the same reason.
    As we previously reported, as part of its domestic production retooling, Honda has decided to resume construction of a hybrid-car factory in Yorii, Saitama Prefecture, but will scrap plans to build a minivehicle plant in Mie Prefecture. The carmaker suspended the construction of the hybrid-car factory after the global financial crisis slashed demand.
    Last edited by wynode; 05-09-2010 at 05:21 PM.
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Wow. That's a big call!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    somebody assasinate the CEO now!!!

does the CEO have a problem or something?!?!?!

You do realise that this is only in Japan. When I was living there around 7 years ago, hybrid vehicles were already quite popular. There is pretty much hybrid anything, so this is nothing new to them.

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    It's a SMART move.... seriously NOBODY buys civics in Japan anymore. It's all kei-cars, hybrids and family wagons.
    I see more Odysseys on the road than I do civics!
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

no more vtec? :[

While I agree this is sad news, on a good side you Civic owners now have something that wont be around, prestige yo! haha but maybe this could lead to a big return on investment for them, I bet they still have some kind of Halo car, they need to have good sales to justify continuing, they cant just make sporty cars for a small segment. and unless someone comes up with a petrol replacement, everything will be battery/hybrid powered.

I have always been disapointed that Honda could not beat Lexus, the Legend has just never been near them, and that range might have provided the needed funds to keep making the sportier cars. Wish we got the Elysion too, There's so many Elgrand and Alphards around in Sydney now, wondering if Ford and Holden jump on that bandwagon...
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    LOL @ the people getting upset even though it's not affecting the people in Aus.

I bet Hybrid will also die out soon..... Then what next ? Trends seem to change as fast as people change their undies in Japan.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend