Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

somehow lost the gf's second key. In the shit. So whats the process for a new one ?

hullo all - 2007 vti.

Surely this applies to all hondas - but Ive somehow misplaced ( IE went missing a year ago - suddenly the gf decides she needs it now and Im taking a beating ) so i need a new key.
    Easy to get the new FOB - but is it a laser cut design ?
    What is the process of it learning the immobiliser / copy the other key ?

get back to me with any info cheers Ben

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    hey ben sorry no clear answer, but I recently bought a car with only 1 key and been trying to get a 2nd key.
    so far i have bought a chipped key blank from ebay (to try save costs by providing my own key), but no matter where I call or visit they all say they wont program and cut my key. they will only use their own... prices quoted have been ridiculous ranging from 100-200
    the last guy i spoke to told me to go to one place that could do it, over 100 if i provide my key or 600 otherwise... like wtf?
    anyway i guess moral of my story is that don't buy a key blank b4 u can find someone to cut it + program.

yeah its true..
    my dads mate spent $400 on cutting a key and programming..
    theres no way you can cut those cheapo keys and getting the car to work..

only way possible is to just get the pros to key and program.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    My 2 cents.

I've had to get a Honda dealer to supply, cut and reprogram a key for my wife's 06 GLi. But recently been reading quite a few threads on getting new keys. From what I have read so far, a blank remote can be purchased from eBay, the key itself can be cut at certain lock smiths. I have had one cut for about $15 ( but that's in Perth). The keyless entry can be programmed yourself, one if the threads has the instructions. The only thing that seems to need the dealership to do is to register the new key to the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    hey evolution, I'm in perth too... was that $15 just a cut or was it a program too (the key itself, not the remote)? please enlighten me on where you did it so cheaply

Member Array
    Car:
    BB6 VTi-R
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Transpo...item5ad4312e29

Got one of my keys supplied, cut and programmed from this guy located at Kensington NSW. Good price and quality job. Worth checkin out.
    Or you can just buy the blank with the immobilizer chip inside.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Jazz-Ke...item563d5bd817
    Last edited by dness; 06-09-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: link

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    It's $15 to cut.

Details are all in the following thread.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-euro-in-Perth

Hey Ben, when i bought the jazz i had a little metal tag with a serial number on it, with that you could go to your honda dealership to get a new key made.
    I haven't driven a Honda in years. :/ Does my honda lawn mower and whipper snipper count?

I too am looking for a cost effective option.

My local honda dealer wanted $254 for the key itself, then $50 to have it cut, then $95 to program it. No way am I paying $400 for a key!
    1997 Prelude VTi-R

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    far out thats rediculous. but its not just hondas that are that rediculous, to get our mercedes van key cut it was nearly 800...

LOOK HARDER! lol good luck hope you find it/ replace it
    jdmEG5: Will u take 2 ounces of weed +$500 your way? I'm not kidding.

Speed is a matter of money... How fast can you AFFORD to go?

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    In Chatswood, the key shop near Coles quoted me $145 for a Coded key to get cut for my Evo. It's a matter of holding the other key to a machine, it reads the code, and they can then program a new key, and cut it for you. It even looks sort of like an OEM key. Otherwise, you'll be looking at around $400+ if you wanted to get it cut at Honda.

I ended up buying one from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Spoke to my local lock smiths, they could do me a transponder key without the remote locking buttons for $130. But I really want the buttons, so I am taking a chance on this one off eBay, hopefully they can make it work. They tell me there are two types of transponders, one that can be programmed into the remote and the other, the cars computer needs to be programmed to accept the specific signal from the new remote, if its the former, the locksmiths can make the transponder work and cut the key, then I can use the simple programming method for the lock/unlock buttons. If the car needs to be programmed to accept the transponder in the key, then I need to go to Honda and pay them $95 or something to do it!
    1997 Prelude VTi-R