Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Black CU2 6MT

[CU2] Grill Overhaul

Hi guys

I've decided instead of flooding the cu2 mods thread with my little diy project ive got going on, ill make a thread of my own. =)

So after chatting to a mate of mine from russia i have recently become obssessed with their openess to modding our CU2.

So after viewing defcons threads over at acurazine and browsing through the CU2's in Russia, I decided its time for me to do some DIY! So late this arvi I decided to kick it all off with modding my (perfectly fine and innocent) grill!

Heres a teaser;

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    More pics.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2
    welcome to the DIY club

did you paint it black or doing cf vinyl? i cant tell by the small pics

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by defconskylude View Post
    welcome to the DIY club

did you paint it black or doing cf vinyl? i cant tell by the small pics
    he hasn't done anything but take the grill apart,
    with the honda 3 silver bars grill, when you take it off the front bumper, the frame becomes a separate piece, as well as the 3 silver bars leaving behind the black grill and the badge.

I'm pretty sure he is going to attempt this grill:

can't wait to see the finished product andrew, and GOOD LUCK!

Member Array
    Car:
    Black CU2 6MT
    Hahah Simon! Your onto me! Haha that's exactly what I'm attempting to do! I've got it primered today, so I'll sand it back and paint it tonight, will post up pics tonight!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by nesterjester View Post
    Hahah Simon! Your onto me! Haha that's exactly what I'm attempting to do! I've got it primered today, so I'll sand it back and paint it tonight, will post up pics tonight!
    haha! can't wait andrew!
    once photos are up, i'll PM you on the full steps on how to do it, so I can do it as well, looks fairly easy...hopefully

Member Array
    Car:
    Black CU2 6MT
    Sorry for the major fail on this thread! haha been working the last few nights so havent really gotten around to finishing my little DIY here!

So at first it wasnt too bad... I was a little reluctant to hack up my $900 grill (I called up Honda and asked them the replacement price) but I convinced myself otherwise.
    I used a soldering iron to melt the centre bar from the grill but I eventually used a hacksaw blade to finish it off because it was easier.
    I primed it at first but on the bottom grill there is a big cutout of where the "H" used to be, and it annoyed the shiiii out of me so I ended up sanding it back and bogging the gap in between, resanding, repriming, painting, and then clear coating. Paitence was the key here, letting the paint dry properly and painting lots of light, overlapping coats.

I got the paintmatch spray paint from Autobarn for $30, the paint itself isnt that far off, im happy with it. I installed the mesh by just cutting it to near the shape and squeezing it in. I need to fix it down properly, its not going anywhere at the moment but I will silicone them properly in the next few days when Im not using the car.

I need to do another few coats of clear tomorrow just to finish it off.

Here are some pictures of the project

Tell me what you think

I installed my 55W 8000K Low beams whilst I was waiting for the paint to dry...

Member Array
    Car:
    Polo GTi
    Mate, ur car looks freakin awesome lol...Wish mine was as good as urs :P...Sigh my rear bumper really needs a make over T_T

Member Array
    Car:
    Black CU2 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwangstuhhh View Post
    Mate, ur car looks freakin awesome lol...Wish mine was as good as urs :P...Sigh my rear bumper really needs a make over T_T
    ah mate you should see my passenger rear door! it has a big ding in it from where my mrs drove it into a bollard at a park! I was so effing devo that day mate! Ill show you next week when we meet. The guys at AJ's said they could fix it for $500 which isnt too bad, I just havent had the time to get my car down there! So we are in a similar boat mate!

Member Array
    Car:
    Polo GTi
    Ah really...sucks ay...I was effing spewing when I found out about the massive scratch, my bumper came off the clips so I had to push it back in. I was also considering taking my car to AJ's as well to get them to quote a repair but for $60 I thought hell, it's $60 and the guy was recommended by Honda.

Member Array
    Car:
    Black CU2 6MT
    yea i know mate! bloody a**holes! The guys at AJ's are pretty good, the can do you a good deal. If you get more painted there they will do more for cheaper. When I think about it now I should have got my door painted when they did my kit. Haha.

Member Array
    Car:
    accord
    That looks tough... good job!