Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Rebuilding my own s2k diff

gday all
    long story as shot as possible...

back in janurary before i blew my gearbox to smitheriens i had a couple of runs one night at calder and due my shit launching techniques i managed to damage the bearings in the diff.

the noise it was making was a winding noise only on deceleration only up untill yesterday it has been making the same noise so i thort bugger it im taking it out now lol.
    i pulled it apart today to discover there is no damage to the gears or the lsd. so now im gonna order a set of seals and bearings from honda and put it back together in my free time as a mechanic its actually really easy and i thort after spending $2650 getting the box fully rebuilt, $1000 on a HD clutch and $2700 on new drive shafts and spacers, there was no way i was gonna pay someone to change seals and bearings for me n be charged a fortune again

ill upload some pics of it all pulled apart and ill let you all know when its done and installed

Edited by ludecrs: no selling for Newcomers.
    Last edited by ludecrs; 09-09-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: No selling for newcomers
    "HONDA ADVISES THAT YOU PLEASE REMAIN SEATED DURING THIS FLIGHT, AS UN EXPECTED VVVVVVTEC!!! MAY CAUSE INJURY"

ok so this is how its looking so far the LSD is taped up in masking tape because i had to angle grind the bearing race off as i didnt have the tool specified by honda to pull the bearings off.

i removed all the seals and bearings and gave it all a good clean, i painted the rear housing in heat proof enamel aluminum colour and the front housing in heat proof gloss black

iv ordered the bearings and seals from honda so ill find out how much and how long on monday
    im hoping there not coming from japan or else its a 6 week wait

theres a picture below to show what im upto and for those who dont know what the diff looks like inside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-10 15.10.51&.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	15955  
    Last edited by Age_S2000; 10-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.
    "HONDA ADVISES THAT YOU PLEASE REMAIN SEATED DURING THIS FLIGHT, AS UN EXPECTED VVVVVVTEC!!! MAY CAUSE INJURY"

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    i have the same thing happening to mine. my LSD is noisy and mechanic said bearings r going. if its easy maybe i should do it myself :P my gearbox is pretty good, makes little noises else its fine. keep putting pics up mate really helpful. Would it be better at all to upgrade the LSD while its out?

if i was planing on keeping the car after its done then yea but im not so just trying to budget.

the way to see if your lsd is working fine is

1. come to a T intersection turning either left or right accelerate when safe to do so a little more then normal you should feel or hear the inner tyre skipping like a mini spool or u will feel the lsd slipping.

2. do a burnout in a paddok if u leave two lines behind its all good

3. if its not making wierd noises like winding or crunching noises while turning or going around bends then its also ok.

all seals and bearings will be genuine honda so im no cutting corners there either
    Last edited by Age_S2000; 11-09-2010 at 09:54 PM.

so what was wrong with it ? just the seals?

my diff is whinning loudly and makeing clunking noises at the moment so im not driving it till i get it fixed

na just the bearings r noisy.

the bearings and seals from honda were $450 the same brand seals and bearings from burson's are $180 lol will be putting it back together tomoro ill take a few more pics

ok so its finally finished sorry i didnt take pics as i was piecing it together, adjusting preloads and end float took some time and my hands were to dirty to fiddle around in my pockets to reach my brand new samsung galaxy s lol.
    everything checked out ok in the end it has 4 new bearings, 3 new seals and a new preload colapsable spacer just goto get a bottle of OEM Diff oil tomoro and put it... after tonights gym sesh i cbf lol

second hand diff $1800 - $2300, reconditioned diff $1500 - $2000, brand new diff $5000+
    REBUILD IT YOURSELF PRICELESS = $205

hears a few pics of my brand new reconditioned diff i hav cleaned the red silicone off too btw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-15 18.28.47&.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	16026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-15 16.40.13&.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	16027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-15 18.29.03&.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	16028  

Member Array
    Car:
    MY01' S2000
    that is fantastic work and i think it is great you have been able to do this on your own. I am having problems with my diff where i believe my crown and pinion are stuffed and also some bearings could be on they're way. Would u be interested in some cash work? Hoping you are located in melbourne...Let me know if you are

Great effort, hope it all works out! well done.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Did it cure your problem? I'm looking at doing the same soon too.. Maybe someone should write a DIY!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DEL SOL
    s2000 Diff is that easy to break? or may be u r a tough racer lol. just joking. well done mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by boyjkl1111 View Post
    s2000 Diff is that easy to break? or may be u r a tough racer lol. just joking. well done mate.
    the diff seems to be quite easy to break, compared to other RWD sportscars anyway.