Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR

JDM B18C struggling and little backfire

Hi,

My car with B18C is currently stuggling (kinda choking splut splut splut etc. noise from the engine & exhaust on cold start up) when I change gears from 2nd to third, or third to fourth etc before 3000rpms and struggles 3-4 times more than before. After 3000-4000rpms, car seems to pick up again. Sounds kinda like a bad air/fuel mixture, bad tuned car or car with harder cams. This is usually a smooth gear change & a smooth ride but now a disaster. You can also hear the exhaust choking a tiny bit (not running smooth like before) and the whole car wobbles a little when doing the gear changes. Idle is smooth and stays constant and NOT reving all over the place. Well some mechanics has said that if its electrical, the car wont start (not sure if its electrical).

VTEC is ok. No CEL values.

Since this, I have changed:

• Spark Plugs - bought new spark plugs - no difference
    • Spark Leads - tested with a mates NGK spark leads - no difference
    • Changed to Walbro Fuel Pump - no difference
    • Change fuel tank - air gunned fuel line from fuel tank to fuel filter to clean rust particles- no difference
    • Change to new Oil Filter - no difference
    • inspected and tested Distributor - tested to OEM manual specs (ICM etc) - no difference
    • New Toda Timing belt set correct - timing set when engine was out. - no deifference
    • Change New Fuel Filter - no difference
    • Change/flush Honda FEO Motor oil - no difference

All fuses checked (underdash & under bonnet) - All working order

What else could be the problem?

O2 Sensor?
    Coolant Sensor?
    Clogged up injectors?
    Fuel Pressue regulator faulty?
    TPS?
    FITV?
    Last edited by zropts; 27-09-2010 at 10:27 AM.

post up a video of the engine on idle.

could be anything, video of the car running would help

sure its not a blocked exhaust system? CAT might be screwed up. Swap it with a mate and test that.?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    I got JDM Cat. If the cat is stuffed up, what am I looking for? Will change and let you know.
    Last edited by zropts; 15-09-2010 at 09:44 AM.

clogged injectors is a possibility.

very hard to diagnose, vid is best

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    this is the exact same situation i'm in at the moment..the car is quite thirsty as well.

happened to me after i cleaned IACV, adjusted TPS (shouldn't have done this if i knew s300 could control it.....)

also cold starts are wierd...revs up to 2,000rpm immediately and within 10 seconds returns to a 1100rpm idle until it warms up.
    idle can be quite inconsistent and after a period of start and stop driving, the idle begins to rise a little above 1000rpm upon coming to a full top.
    it may even hunt around for a little bit. i'm assuming i may have stuffed the IACV?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    What I'll be doing is check my CAT, buying TPS & get RC 240CC fuel injectors and diagnose this problem one by one to find the real problem. Really doing my head in atm. Wil let you know once I find the problem.
    Last edited by zropts; 27-09-2010 at 10:28 AM.

bad fuel is another.

actually can you please detail what you've done.....

not just short list.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    tried swearing at it? kicking the tyre? giving it evils? "puttin the staunch on it"?

did u do any mods to the car before it happened? touch anythin under the bonnet around the same time it started doing it?
    jdmEG5: Will u take 2 ounces of weed +$500 your way? I'm not kidding.

Speed is a matter of money... How fast can you AFFORD to go?

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Was anything done to the car prior to this happening?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    Nothing was done. But I did find out the fuel tank was corroded "after" this was happening thus having to change the fuel tank, fuel pump & bracket and replacing the clogged fuel filter. Would it be possible for the tiny rust particles to travel past the fuel filter and into the injectors?

I don't know, its a possibility.

maybe something you already have ruled out but over looked.