Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

speaker recommendation running off HU amp

Super noob at car audio department.

Looking to use HU amp and NOT an external amp. The HU has a "Built in 50W x 4 Channel High-Power MOSFET Amplifier"

Will something like the Focal 165A1 run well off this HU amp?
    The speaker specs shows 'Nominal power=60W'. Does this mean the speakers will be underpowered? Does this also mean my sound will be low and similar to stock?
    I dont plan on cranking it up on full blast but at a reasonable volume and maybe occasionally louder without any rattling or distortion.
    Is it true that i need an external amp to run components/splits?

any help is appreciated.
    thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Hey mate I'm getting hooked up with some Phillips stuff for cheap check it out

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    most headunits will put out like 20watt rms if ur lucky. u will be underpowering them and not reaching the full potential out of the speakers. yes they will be louder then stock but not by much only difference will be that u will get more clarity out of the focals compared to stock

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    if you're happy with the level from a head unit then get a pair of speakers that you like the sound of. don't just listen to them for 2 minutes, make sure you have a good listen to them as you're the one who will have to listen to them for a long time or atleast until you get sick of them. when auditioning to speakers in a store, make sure you listen to them off a head unit and not through an amp.
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Thanks for the response guys.
    These are the specs for the potential HU i want to get

HU
    Max power output = 50w x 4
    continuous power output = 22w x 4 (50hz to 15000 hz 5% tHD 4ohm load both channels driven)
    load impedance = 4ohm (4ohm to 8ohm (2ohm for 1 ch) allowable)
    preout max output level = 4V

Speaker
    Maximum power 120W
    Nominal power 60W
    Sensitivity (2.83 V/1m) 92dB
    Frequency response (+/-3dB) 60Hz - 20kHz
    Nom. impedance 4 ohms

Does this mean if i crank up my HU, it wont be able to power the speakers to normal ability? Just trying to get my head around the HU watts vs Speaker watts. Since its 22w continuous vs 60w normal?
    I see that most external amps are 100w x 4 therefore it will power the speakers nicely since its between 60w to 120w?

Thanks again

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    with an amp it will sound alotttttt nicer but if u only listen to it at normal volume ur not gonna notice much diff. running off the hu will only give u a true 22watts per channel so u will wont be running them at there full potential saying that there is no harm in underpowering if done correctly

ahh everyone is pointing towards an amp for full potential
    I am trying to avoid external amps and subs with decent speakers that can produce good sounds/bass. I might take a punt and get those speakers. If they sound good to me, ill leave it. Otherwise, i have to work my way towards an amp/sub. Fingerscrossed it will be atleast twice as good as stock

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    trust me it will be alot better then stock speakers dont worry to much lol

thanks for all your help
    yea im trying not to worry too much but only making sure im not spending the extra $500 on speakers for no reason. If im only going to get 10-15% better sound quality than stock, i may just keep my stock. Its the RMS/Watts thats confusing me where HU amp seems to be not enough to even power the normal potential of any speakers

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    http://www.philipscaraudio.co.nz/csp6910.html

CSP6910 $85.00,CSP650 $155.00 splits plus 6x9's

Fairfield Car Audio

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3->EK1->DC2->
    if ur not going to get an amp then pretty much everything will sound the same.
    IMHO: no amp - buy anything in budget. honestly you wont notice THAT much of a difference but after market speakers will definitely sound better then stock.
    mild amp - alpine type s

yea i think i may have to lean towards an external amp as things im reading from other forums say the HU 50x4 is just not good enough. Hopefully i can avoid getting a sub with some decent speakers producing the same/similar effect.