Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1

Pod Filters: The Truth

Pod filters and their legality has got to be one of the most talked about topics on forums, especially in NSW where the rules are some what "fuzzy".

Determined to find out the truth, I went in search.

Email to the NSW police was ignored, the second was answered by them effectively saying: "We don't know, ask the RTA."

The RTA have never responded to an email from me yet, so I went up the line.

I called an Authorised Inspection Centre, and they put me on to the RTA Technical Enquiries hotline on 1300 137 302, and after calling there, I was told the following:

The law states that modifying the intake at all is illegal without an engineers certificate to prove it still meets the environmental standards. As such, pod filters are technically illegal, but if put in the original air box, they will pass because neither the police or RTA inspectors look in the air box.
    Also, the Victorian EPA document that states that dry element pod filters are legal on EFI cars is NOT proof for NSW drivers.
    They also said that the more likely reason that a pod filter will get you in trouble is the noise increase they cause. The car still has to pass a drive by noise test.

Those are the facts as told to me by the RTA. Take from that what you will and hopefully its helpful. I know for me it has helped change my mind off changing the intake as drastically as I was going to, instead I may just put a pod in the stock box.
    Last edited by crazy.ivan; 22-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Ya gotta do what makes U feel comfortable whilst driving your car.

Everyone is different,different areas etc.

Good work Ivan!

Good to know they are as clear as mud! LOL

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 TYPE R
    if the pod filter is mounted and coverd it should be no problem
    rep if helped

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Dunno about custom box, but he stated "original" airbox.

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    stupid noob thread.

if u didnt notice. "ANY" modification is illegal.
    if your car came with a factory glovebox(which all do). and you broke yours. it wont pass blue slip

you could've used the "search" to find all ur answers about defects and pod filters.
    Last edited by Samm928; 22-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    I've passed blueslip with a broken glove box ( seriously )

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm928 View Post
    stupid noob thread.

if u didnt notice. "ANY" modification is illegal.
    if your car came with a factory glovebox(which all do). and you broke yours. it wont pass blue slip
    I don't know where to start... if all mods where illegal how is it that tens of thousands of cars are driving around with mods on them? Of course some mods are legal. Why else would there be whole businesses that do nothing but modify cars? Those shops would be as illegal as drug houses if what your saying is right. Where did that statement even come from?

I am all about legal mods. That's why I looked into this and why I posted it up, so anyone who wants to know can know what I was told by the government authority on it. As it says, do with this info what you will.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy.ivan View Post
    if all mods where illegal how is it that tens of thousands of cars are driving around with mods on them?
    Questions.

Who has the answers??

The seekers,that's who.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post
    my civic on 4 jackstands in the garage passed blue slip
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by na-118 View Post
    my civic on 4 jackstands in the garage passed blue slip
    not talking about your dodgy mechanic. but "legally"

Quote Originally Posted by crazy.ivan View Post
    I don't know where to start... if all mods where illegal how is it that tens of thousands of cars are driving around with mods on them? Of course some mods are legal. Why else would there be whole businesses that do nothing but modify cars? Those shops would be as illegal as drug houses if what your saying is right. Where did that statement even come from?

I am all about legal mods. That's why I looked into this and why I posted it up, so anyone who wants to know can know what I was told by the government authority on it. As it says, do with this info what you will.
    "being pulled over countlessly is how i know any non standard modifcation is a defect". "any non standard modification to a vehicle is a defect" and there are ten of thousand of businesses in this department due to each and every perrson wanting to have a different looking civic then the 80yr old grandma that lives next door to them.
    if you need proof. get some copies of the defect notices.

in the situation that it is not a defect is that only if a mechanical engineer, engineers the car with a engineer certificate and that mechanical engineer isnt blacklisted.
    Last edited by Samm928; 22-09-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm928 View Post
    in the situation that it is not a defect is that only if a mechanical engineer, engineers the car with a engineer certificate and that mechanical engineer isnt blacklisted.
    I totally understand where your coming from, but even you said right there, there is a way to have a fully legal modded car. Mods themselves are not illegal. Only when you don't follow protocol is it illegal (and I am not saying its not a pain to do). There are hundreds of pro tuner companies that produce 100% legal, modded cars. All you have to do is do it right.

And its got nothing to do with "each and every perrson wanting to have a different looking civic then the 80yr old grandma that lives next door to them." There are heaps of cars out there that are modded and look stock, which is the reverse of what you are saying.