Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Problems

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R

Clutch Problems

I was leaving gym last night and I noticed that my clutch was feeling funny (at first just thought it was my legs from gym). The clutch pedal feels really loose, it has no resistance for about 3/4 of its travel down, then the tiniest of clutch points and then complete disengagement. The break fluid in the clutch reservoir was empty, so I filled that up and it got a little better (started to feel resistance on the pedal at about half way after a fair bit of pumping and a 5 min drive round the block), but now in the morning its back to having no resistance. I didn't have time to check the clutch reservoir levels this morning as I had to borrow my mums car to get to work.

It is a 2001 DC2 Integra Type R, I only bought it about a month and a half ago, so I'm not sure when the clutch was last replaced, but it had never missed a service according to the books, and a family friend mechanic when I bought it didn't see anything obviously wrong with it.

Does anyone have any idea what it could possibly be? I'm going to bleed through the clutch hydraulic lines when I get home just in case there is some air in the lines.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    best bet would be to search, there are alot of posts about clutch issues similar to yours.

Sounds like something is leaking, possibly slave or master cylinder. Hence why your fluid reservoir was empty. Topping it up won't really fix the problem.

See where its leaking from, stop the leak and bleed the clutch

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    would be ur clutch slave cylinder on its way out or the clutch master cylinder. Experience exactly this so I change the clutch master cylinder because if there was a leak, it will be most likely behind the clutch pedal. If this doesnt then change clutch slave cylinder.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    best bet would be to search, there are alot of posts about clutch issues similar to yours.

Sounds like something is leaking, possibly slave or master cylinder. Hence why your fluid reservoir was empty. Topping it up won't really fix the problem.

See where its leaking from, stop the leak and bleed the clutch
    Yeah I'm thinking it might be the master/slave cylinder. I've never had to replace one before, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard. I'm not too familiar with the ITR engine bay, anyone who has swapped one out before have any tips?

master would be much easier than slave as you dont need to remove any parts to get to it.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Antv View Post
    master would be much easier than slave as you dont need to remove any parts to get to it.
    otherway round dude. slave is easier to get to, the master is connected to the pedal

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Yeah, there is black gunk on the cylinder connected to the pedal. So looks like I'm up for a new master cyl. Any idea where to get one round Melbourne?

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    my master has a slow leak, leaks down at the clutch pedal and drips onto the rubber thats beneath the carpet (i dont have carpet) and has eaten into it lol

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
    Yeah, there is black gunk on the cylinder connected to the pedal. So looks like I'm up for a new master cyl. Any idea where to get one round Melbourne?
    honda.com.au. Search for a parts dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    Quote Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
    You can contact any Honda Dealer (parts department) and quote your VIN no. to them, they'll find out what car exactly you have and quote you on the price of the clutch master cylinder. Also you might want to do some research on OMNI Clutch Master Cylinder if you're keen on something different.

Member Array
    Car:
    A Honda
    Im currently having a similar sort of problem and didnt realise how bad it was until i removed my carpet. It (cylinder behind the clutch pedal) has gunk too and the leak was seeping under the carpet and eating at the paint. Probably got to replace some sort of seal.
    I looked in the engine bay where the clutch line reservoir is and firewall area and no visible leaks.
    I'm hoping to get this repaired by this week. If so i'll keep this thread posted.
    I'll try take some decent pics too.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Just to let you know, it was the master cylinder. I replaced it last week and it's all fine