Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will View Post
    yes, but costs in the local court are generally $76.

it is possible that you could receive a harsher penalty if the court sees fit.

also keep in mind that getting good representation will cost you around $1500-$2500. Anyone who says they will do it for less than that probably isnt worth paying.
    well if its going too cost like 1.5 to 2.5 is it better just to cop the fine and 6mths ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92
    I'm pretty sure they speed detection on the fly, i.e they don't have to be stationary to log a speed with a car in front of them. I was clearly caught out by a Highway Patrol and when I received the fine, the indicated speed was almost spot on with how fast I was travelling. In short, you got off very lucky and IMO shouldn't fight it. Take it as a man, you were clearly in the wrong so just pay your dues.
    Last edited by AE092; 23-09-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    well if its going too cost like 1.5 to 2.5 is it better just to cop the fine and 6mths ?
    correct.

and yes it's correct to say that a police car doesn't need to be stationary in order to book you, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AE092 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they speed detection on the fly, i.e they don't have to be stationary to log a speed with a car in front of them. I was clearly caught out by a Highway Patrol and when I received the fine, the indicated speed was almost spot on with how fast I was travelling. In short, you got off very lucky and IMO shouldn't fight it. Take it as a man, you were clearly in the wrong so just pay your dues.
    thanks for the advice guess im paying the fine then i was in the wrong im just lucky i didnt die that night anyways thanks for your help everyone

Banned Array
    Car:
    daihatsu Z
    Good for admitting it. Pay it.. I didn't bother hiring a lawyer etc etc, just told them what I did so its done and off my back.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    looks like ur gonna be getting used to public transport lol
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    You should go to court, represent yourself and tell them the real speed you were doing. I hope they ban you for at least 12 months... and more fines. Wake up to yourself man! My wife and children go out on those roads.

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    Even if you had the a high priced solicitor, you still have no solid defense to stand on so youll end up paying him hundreds to thousands just to plead a case you could have done yourself.

Just go to court on your own, plead guilty and ask to reduce the fine and/or setup a payment plan. His/her honour will go ape sh!t at you for a few minutes then look at your priors (driving history, criminal record) and current circumstances (eg. employment, studying).

Make a sob statement that it was a stupid thing to do and you have learnt your lesson the hard way by being unable to drive.

You cant get the suspension period reduced but you might be able to get that fine closer to $1000.

Just hope you get a female magistrate and that shes in a happy mood cause it all comes down to leniency.

Oh and wear something nice and address the magistrate politely.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

um.... btw, the magistrate makes the fine on how able you are to pay it back, his not going to give u a massive fine if you state if you cannot pay it back. but by saying this, you actually need to have a lawyer with you, so he can sort it out and tell the magistrate what is your income and what of it you have left after paying bills things like that. trust me, go get a lawyer/solicitor.

ask for a section 10 aswell, but highly doubt you'll get it, but its all up to the magistrate.

honestly, go sign up at the traffic offenders program, go to court, ask for an ajournment so you can complete the course. you will learn a ****ing lot the week when you get the lawyer/solicitor lecture (i had mine tonight, very interesting, tells you all max fines you get, gaol terms, suspension shit like that)

if you have a good driving record, you might get a section 10, but its up to the magistrate. also if you have work commitments that oyu need to drive everyday to work or things like that, you can go to court, pay the fine, but ask for an appeal against the suspension either from the police or the rta.

id honestly not listen to any of these people telling you to go represent yourself, and go and get a solicitor. i am representing myself, and its not fkn ezy, have to prepare so much shit and i dont have the jist of what to say/do to get my sentence reduced.

and i wouldnt even tell em the REAL speed you were doing, if you onyl got booked for 45+ over, with no actual speed recorded, go tell em u were doing probably doing 47kmh or something, though it probably makes no difference, if ur a p-plate, probably going to go REAL hard on ya, just like me (Y).
    Last edited by MWAKU; 23-09-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Integra
    Some advise then. Go online and print off some bus and train timetables and get to know the different routes and stops in your area. If you are a concession you get a pretty solid discount anyway!

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    MWAKU how much did you pay your lawyer? cause all he did was fill out forms lol.

You cant get a demerit points reduced even if you need it for work. The only way you can overturn it is if you plead not guilty and win. If you plead not guilty and magistrate doesnt find your argument good enough, you will get your ass reamed with a bigger fine for wasting the courts time because they need to book another court date and summon the police officer.

ps. im not a traffic lawyer but i worked for a court transcription company and listen to this shit all day long.
    Last edited by flipfire; 23-09-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

im representing my self

when i say reduced, i mean as in

lets take my case, cause i forgot how long it is for speeding >45km, my first offense for novice range, the suspension 'automatic' is 6months, but the minimum suspension is 3 months, so if i have a good enough case i can get the minimum or inbetween the 3 months and 6 months, otherwise if i just go in and admit and get everything quik and ezy its 6months suspension with a maximum fine of up to 1,100$. see im going to ask for a dismissal under section 10, but i doubt ill get it because ive been done recently for speeding and red light camera, but im praying for a suspension for 3 months and a low fine, but im just praying, praying i have a nice magistrate that reads through my case word by word

its his first offense, and if he states things like his, if he is, low income, needs license for work, and without it he will be jobless, or if he has written statements that he drives he mum and dad to here and there an a set schedule's because they cannot get there themselves, or he has some medical problems, its up to the magistrate to see whats fit for him. if his lucky he can just pay the fine and appeal the suspension, but im pretty sure his getting both a police and RTA suspension, meaning that he will get suspended eventually, but for obviously less time, rather then if he doesn't appeal. the thing is that ur chances of him getting a section 10 is pretty low, but its all up to the magistrate.

and isn't it when ur doing 45km+ you have to go court? if so then he NEEDS to get seek legal advice....

i was just sitting in the lecture room with the solicitor telling us everything, and although i dont remember everything 100%, thats what i can recall and yeh.
    Last edited by MWAKU; 23-09-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i