Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Desperate for answers!

Hi,

I'm a new P plater and I haven't driven anything but a Hyundai Getz. Quite a car newbie but can't wait to get my first car to learn more and more. I want to get a Honda Civic.. and now since I want one, dad wants to get one, too O.o

Anyway, to my questions:

• What is a great year for Civics?
    • Where is a great place to look for them? (Looked on carsales.com.au, etc)
    • Should you get a pre-modded one or just go stock? (I'm wanting to do some mods. Rims, bodykit.. normal stuff).
    • Where is a good place to buy your parts for a great price?

Have about 5-8k to spend.

Thanks in advance. Hope I get some answers
    Last edited by ind1; 26-09-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    its going to come down to personal preference. Given your budget you're limited to 4th, 5th, and 6th generation civic, Basically all 1990-2000 models, although you probably wont get an EM1 in that price range.

more info here ------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C....2C_EP3.2C_EU1

Carsales, trading post wherever.

If you buy a pre-modded car its more likely to have been given a thrashing in my opinion. You'd be better off trying to find a car that was owned by an older person, with regular maintenance records. Although this is not always guaranteeing the car hasn't been thrashed I just think its less likely if you buy it from a 50YO women than a 19YO p-plater.

Cost of parts varies, do you want stuff made in china or stuff from Japan? With the aussie dollar at the moment its quiet cost effective to buy stuff from the US and get it shipped here. They also have a massive array of parts due to the popularity of hondas over there.

Good luck with it

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CU2
    Hi mate.
    definitely dont buy from young people as they've probably been abused.
    older people with service record as markis said.

Also, when you talk to people on the phone, ask them about whether the car was ever written off and see how they react.
    might save you the time of going and finding out in person or doing the revs.

There a lot of dodgy people who buy written off cars, repair them dodgily and sell them for a profit.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG9
    Also plenty of cars to choose from here

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    If you're looking to buy a Civic in thgat price range then you'd be looking at an EG or EK. Keep an eye peeled on the For Sale section on these forums. Plenty of Civics around. Obviously carsales is a good place too as everyone should know.

Good luck in the hunt for your first car.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    For me I think the best civic years for body styles were 1992-2000.

With $5-8g I would try to get an EG6 if you can find one within that budget, or maybe otherwise just get an EG with a VTEC B-series swap

Thank you so much all

Taking it all in and I will look into those that people mentioned

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    you pretty much just need to find the model that you think looks the best, and then decide whether you want a more powerfull engine (ie: a vtec) then look for fairly low km's and good service history and your on the right track. I would go for an eg or ek aswell, either way it's gonna be a good reliable car that will handle well and probly go alright too carsales is a good place to start and will give you an idea of what the different models/engines will set you back

I agree. EG Civics are hot and had that slick look. EG with B16 swaps are beautiful.

Thank you guys

I'm having a look at these:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...Sort_Decimal|0

Anything stand out there for you guys?

Should I get a 1994 VTI with a Vtec engine or just go for the 1995-2000 engines?

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    depends on what u like
    i got a 94 vti with a b16a in it and im loving life with it, sunroof, power and looks that i love (JDM Style xD)

in terms of engines, the 95-00 models dont offer much other than the ek4 and vtir, they are basically a single cam engine so its not much different than the eg engines (as long as its not carby)
    in fact the eg vti and si have more powerful engines than the ek cxi and the gli
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance