Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!

replacing bolts on a turbo and hosing, anything special?

looking to replace some bolts on a turbo I picked up solely because I like new bolts and not old rusty/snapped ones(just the m8 ones which you loosen to clock the housing as well as to attach the dump pipe)

anything special I should look out for? I usually hit up the flanged ones from champion available from repco and such and i'm pretty sure they're rated at 8.8 tensile strength(use them on my engine/brakes/suspension without drama's)

as for hosing, is it safe to fit and clamp down regular silicon hosing(2.25>3" adapter for for intake and 2-2.5" adapter for the charge piping) to the compressor side of the turbo directly? not sure how hot it gets there and how high temp the silicon can hold
    pretty sure I've seen it done before just figured I'd feel more comfortable with some sort of conformation

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    use titanium bolts, good bling for your sexy turbo hehe
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    silicon is pretty resistant to heat, ive tried melting it with 250 degree celcius soldering iron and it did nothing so u should be right.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    vinny make sure you do one bolt at time. The reason is that if you take all the bolts out and you've never don it before you can hit the fins of the turbo to the housing.
    Also use mild steel bolts like the housing, if you use stainless steel ones, they expand at different rates and may cause problems.
    Usually, if you spray WD40 they will be fine as the turbo gets bloody hot, the rust usually doesn't last long on these things
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    grifty; I think it gets a little hotter than 250c there if i'm not mistaken? hehe
    limbo; yeah I guess I'll look into that, i'm a fan of flanged bolts. I guess I can pull them and threw washers on(can't stand non-flanged bolts that are just torqued down straight to the surface without a washer of some sort)

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    the melting point of silicon is about 1400c so u should be right lol
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    oh, so I guess silicon hoses are a go better get ordering them then

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i've seen some manifolds actually have melted bits or cracked from the heat.
    Vinny - i should be at North mead this Sat, can talk to you then if you want.

BTW, on compressor side it doesn't get that hot, silicone hose is fine, i've seen alot done that way
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION