Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9

D16y8 and D16y5 - same gearbox in australia?

im trying to get a D16y8 gearbox for my D15b7

but im really struggling to identify the difference

Honda Parts reckon that the VTI coupe and VTI sedan share the same gearbox
    but they have different engines - the coupe came with a D16y8 and the sedan came with a D16y5

according to this ... they have different gear ratios ....
    http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...n-specs-29132/

is there a chance that in australia we got the same box for both engines? and how the hell do i tell the difference?
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    As far as i know, D16y8, theres a few codes patched onto the tranny and bell housing, coming from my one, there K4k-p20 and S40, so im assume one of em is the tranny code an i think it is different to that of the ek1 gearbox, but yea heard the same, slighty different gear ratio, but i doubt it would make much differance
    Last edited by mugen_ctr; 28-09-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    9% different gear ratio ... i really dont want to take a 10% loss in power

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    i dont think it b that much power loss, as the only main difference between the two gearboxes are 2nd an 3rd gears, either longer or shorter than other.... if cruising itd still be the same as any other d-series gear box, me personally id go an get the y8 gearbox, only because it came from the vtec d16, compared to non-vtec d16y5, although the rarity of vti coupe does make it harder to source a coupe gearbox compared to 4-door

I do believe its best to go by that link, which pretty much sums up that d16y8 had its own gearbox as the american counter parts had exactly the same stuff as we got, an alternative though is the eg5 d16 gearbox, pretty much the same
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    yes but honda australia considers the VTI coupe and the VTI sedan to be the same part .... which is stupid because its clearly different lol
    and all the wreckers go by what honda say ... so even if they charge you for a D16y8 gearbox you are probably getting a D16y5 box =/

after almost a day of research and ringing around ... the best way to tell the difference is the look at a casting stamp ....

B000 - shorter gear ratio and final drive
    A000 - longer gear ratio and final drive

problem with this though is that the D16y5 also has the B000 designation - making my search for answers almost impossible

but it also means that any S20 gearbox with B000 designation WILL have shorter gears

what ID does the EG5 VTI engine have? (ie D16z6, D16y8, D16y5, D16a6)

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    dude.. Honda are talking EK VTi's there.. and you REALLY dont want to buy a new replacement gearbox through Honda unless you have about $3,000 plus !!!

u need an EG VTi (EG5) that has a SOHC VTEC 128PS "D16Y1"

the D16Y1's gearbox (whatever the code is I cant remember) has the SHORTEST ratios/final drive OF ANY D-SERIES. From memory they were even shorter than the EJ8 VTi ("EK" Coupe) which came with the D16Y8. I used to be shifting before my mate in his EJ8.

the Y8 is the OBD2 version of the D16Y1 but it has a bigger Intake manifold. it has the same power (maybe 1% more LOL) but has a lower redline.

you want to get hold of the Y8 Intake Manifold and whack it onto a D16Y1 with a D16Y1(paired) Gearbox..

again i know u love your little D-series.. but all this $$$ you're spending.. you do realise you can do a B16 swap for about $2k ?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    the $$ spent wasnt ever planned ... if i could afford it i would sell the car and buy something a little more modern and hold off on the mods until my career is sorted ...
    if i knew all this stuff would start going out 6 months ago - i would have just spent the money on a B16 swap ... but you cant see into the future =(
    but i juss need to get the civic in good running order and look after it until i can afford something newer

i have already scored a D16z6 intake manifold (fatter runners than Y8 but same plenum as B7) and hondata intake manifold gasket kit on the cheap from USA

D16z6 has the best gear ratio of the D series - but we didnt get it over here - i think the D16y1 might be the AUDM version of it

yeah new replacement gearbox is 3k$++ but thats just not worth it

honda have the same part number for the EJ8 VTI and EK VTI manual gearbox - even though they have different engines + gear ratios - but share the same housing

im looking at a S20 D15b vtec gearbox at the moment - if its stamped B000 than i know it has the shorter gear ratios and i will be purchasing it

its amazing how much you learn about things in a couple of days of hard research when you are under the pump lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    correct, the z6 is in fact the y1, they just re-stamped it for our market, btw, why not go for a D15b Tranny with the Lsd? bit harder to find, let alone wreckers even knowing that d15b had lsd in the tranny
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    im picking one up this weekend ... fingers crossed it has lsd ... but im not concerend either way - i just want the shorter gear ratio and final drive lol