My 96 D16Y4 non-vtec manual making strange noises at idle

Hey guys,

My 96 D16Y4 non-vtec manual is making strange noises at idle and also when coming to complete stop.

At Idle and the manual transmission in neutral and the clutch out the car is making a noise that sounds almost like a "diesel motor idle noise". After I press in the clutch, the noise goes away. Could it be a diff?

Also the second weird noise is when I am coming to a slow complete stop or very slowing taking off, i hear what is best described as a "ratatatat" which increases or decreases according to the RPM's. After take off I cant seem to hear it. Sorry for the rough descriptions of the noise but the best description that i can come up with in words.

The car is stock except for an after market heavy duty clutch(not sure the brand) fitted a few years back which was the 2nd clutch used, the first being the stock one from new. No other mods and the car has done approximately 275,000 klms. I dont track it but I do give it spirited road driving.

The car seems to go fine but the noise is slowly getting louder. I have had a suggestion that its a input shaft bearing and/or other internal bearing in the transmission. Also it seems it would be wise to change the clutch as well.

So quick questions:

1. What sort of cost would a work of this magnitude cost ( I hear you ask long is a piece of string. and would it mean a decision of either seek a changeover gearbox or have my own gearbox sent off to get stripped and rebuilt? Estimate Cost of each?

2. Thinking of getting the Exedy Sports Tuff Heavy Duty clutch, which I have read through on this forum the majority seem to suggest.

I have had the car since new and I wish to retain the car if that also helps.

I am in Melbourne as well.

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom and sorry for the essay.

A.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    You describe two noise, but are you sure its not the same? Is the second noise definetely rpms, or is it road speed? The first noise, if youre coasting along at like, 50km/h, put it in neutral and let the clutch out, does it still make the noise?

Firstly, jack the front up so the wheels are off the ground. Put it into gear and simulate your slowly taking off, does the noise still appear or not? now simulate the the first noise, put it in neutral with clutch out, is it doing it?
    to see all of my build, checkout

Thanks for the reply Trism.

Apologies I will try and explain it further for you.

The first noise being like a diesel type idle is definitely there on idle and goes silent when the clutch is engaged. That's when i can hear it. If I am driving along and then put it in neutral and clutch out I can hear it above the road noise.

The second noise I believe IMO is different to the first noise because I hear it when I slowly take off (ratatat noise) or come to a rest. It seems not to be there when driving. It wont be easy to try what you suggest but will try to do it tonight. Thanks

Hi guys sorry been stuck at work until late will get to trying this soon, any other thoughts . Thanks heaps

its more than likely the input shaft bearing in the gearbox or release bearing....

Thanks bennjamin for your reply, based on that view point, would you have the trannie also sent off (by the mechanic) to get stripped and looked at or would you just replace the bearings or get a change over trannie. Sorry if I am asking silly questions.

id personally drop the transmission , replace ISB , and whatever other bearings are showing signs of wear. also check condition of synchros etc.

I would not buy a second hand gearbox unless you can guarantee low k's

Thanks again bennjamin for your advice. I'll look into it. What would you suggest a guesstimate price for that sort or work?

Quote Originally Posted by Astrodice View Post
    Thanks again bennjamin for your advice. I'll look into it. What would you suggest a guesstimate price for that sort or work?
    normal workshop would charge about $4-500 to drop the box , then another $100-300 to open it up and clean / install new bearings etc. Plus parts.
    So "about" $6-800. But that will be nice and new and fresh for another 200,000kms lol.

Depending on your location we can direct you to a workshop

Thanks again Bennjamin

Trism, I did some tests today on the road and Trism called it correct. It seems to be the same noise source and makes the "ratatat" as the revs go up taking off and slowing down Thanks heaps.

I'm on the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Yeah i reckon its input shaft bearing.

The release bearing normally makes a squeal when its on the way out.
    to see all of my build, checkout