Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic

knocking sound when turning

It only seems to do it at one particular corner. when i turn this corner, no matter what speed, i hear this knocking sound (like a person knocking on a wooden door). It sounded like it was coming from the back, so me & my dad had a good look at the rear checking nothing was loose or sloppy.

Only the other day i noticed the sound more in the front than the rear, but usually the sound is more apparent in the rear. & its doing it both sides. My suspension is CXi OEM, nothing added at all. What do you guys think this could be?!

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    check ur wheel nuts

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    same thing is happening to my dads car, and im pretty sure its worn shocks. check for leaks or not normal wear on the shocks.
    it could also be your rear trailing arm bush, i was getting creaking noises before i replaced mine
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Banned Array
    Car:
    DN-01
    could be your cv boot.. when they split all this road debree gets in the joints and causes knocking sounds.. could be your shockers, or lca bushes go under the car and have a look

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    I would suggest CV joints.. May be wheel nuts but that occurred to me and it made noises even if the car was going straight :P

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    my mate had this problem on his LS, he had to change CV joints and drive shafts were screwed.

depending on how bad the knock is it might only be CV joints.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Happened to me awhile ago but mine turned out to be leaking/worn shocks but i was already planning to replace shocks so was all good also as above check CV joints too

Member Array
    Car:
    98 Civic VTi-R
    Usually CV joints start a loud metallic rattling/knocking kind of sound when the front wheels are turned. However, if the noise is coming from the back, it may be worn rubber bushes causing metal to metal contact in the suspension joints - eg shock absorber bushes. I'd expect it to also happen when the car is driven over bumps, if that was the case. Replacing the bushes would cure that. It could also be loose wheel nuts, but they usually fall off if that's the case, as happened to a mate years ago, when he thought the knocking noise was CV joints when he was driving his car home from work, and then one of the front wheels fell off!
    Last edited by dahondr98; 04-10-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Don

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    ok well im kinda hoping its not CV joints. The outer boots have just been replaced when i got the gearbox fitted, so im certain the mech would have looked over the cv joints before doing the work.

Its quite hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from. i got my wife to drive & tried hearing for the knocking sound, but she wasnt going fast enough around the corner.

I will double check all the bushes in the rear & we're also looking closely at the front today....

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    deffinately not cv joints, if it were them wouldnt i be able to hear them no matter what speed i am doing?! Anyway we checked the front, i double checked the cv joints, both inner & outer boots were fine (the outer boots have just been replaced anyway). Im sure the mech wouldnt have put busted cv joints back on the car but rather charge more money to fix them, thats what i believe anyway.

The sound only happens at speed or when i turn rather sharply. gone over everything, shocks, bushes, even checked brakes, & we've both come to the conclusion its the front tyres as they are quite bald & on a little area there is steel radial showing thourgh, but only a small amount. Getting new tyres ASAP!!

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    nvm its not cv joints

did you get your bushings?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by chan 87 View Post
    I would suggest CV joints.. May be wheel nuts but that occurred to me and it made noises even if the car was going straight :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    my mate had this problem on his LS, he had to change CV joints and drive shafts were screwed.

depending on how bad the knock is it might only be CV joints.
    If the knocking is coming from the rear, and it is a FWD car, then the rear doesn't have CV joints.

Quote Originally Posted by VTECnique View Post
    deffinately not cv joints, if it were them wouldnt i be able to hear them no matter what speed i am doing?! Anyway we checked the front, i double checked the cv joints, both inner & outer boots were fine (the outer boots have just been replaced anyway). Im sure the mech wouldnt have put busted cv joints back on the car but rather charge more money to fix them, thats what i believe anyway.

The sound only happens at speed or when i turn rather sharply. gone over everything, shocks, bushes, even checked brakes, & we've both come to the conclusion its the front tyres as they are quite bald & on a little area there is steel radial showing thourgh, but only a small amount. Getting new tyres ASAP!!
    Check suspension bushing, the bracket that holds the caliper to the hub, the wheel bearings, even the endlinks if you have a rear sway bar.

Oh, and check the wheel nuts too.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2