Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    fwd's will always torque steer to the side which has a longer shaft?

and what do you mean 'winding up'??
    The usual claim is that a longer driveshaft "flexes" somehow contributing to different torque at the tyre.

If there were any truth to this, then, like a spring, it will reach maximum deflection after a given ammount of time and then remain deflected until the torque is removed. The time constant of an imbalance caused by this mechanism would be TINY.
    Last edited by string; 07-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    ahk. but ive noticed my dc4 also torque steers to the left a bit.

thats what i was taught in tradeschool, that the car will torque steer to the side with the longer drive shafts, even if they are the same lengths, but with the intermediate shaft (i hope that made sense to you?)

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    klungemobile
    I was of the belief that it was due to inertia
    We're doing it for the children.

Quote Originally Posted by newpaddy3 View Post
    I was of the belief that it was due to inertia
    An open differential will apply 50/50 torque. If one side has a greater rotational mass then indeed the tyre will see less of the torque.

Unfortunately for such an argument, the radius of the driveshaft is about 0.5cm so the moment of inertia would be microscopic relative to the wheel and tyre. Then consider that we are only interested in the DIFFERENCE between the moments of inertia of the two driveshafts. I doubt such a difference would consume even a millionth of the mechanical energy.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    this conversation has gotten way out of my vocabulary. i shall now exit the thread.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

The OP already indicates a left/right suspension imbalance. Old bushings don't like to be mucked with. The rubber developes a memory and likes to keep deforming the same way so it's critical to keep them happy, otherwise they will deform or tear and further throw out your L/R balance which is where torque steer thrives.

The mechanism for torque steer is identical to that of steering pull under braking. Scrub radius or longitidinal force - if they're not equal left/right, it's going to pull.

Member Array
    Car:
    klungemobile
    So in layman's terms how is torque steer generated?

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    yea not everyone is intelligent like you. lol

im a dumbshit

some kids garage

Member Array
    Car:
    klungemobile
    lol you're not dumb Lukey, just not accustomed to the wording

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    i look at his sentences and im like

haha

some kids garage

Member Array
    Car:
    klungemobile
    haha yeah I'm lost at scrub radius and longitidinal force and how they equate with it all.

Member Array
    Car:
    Understand
    Just get LSD. k

~King Of Spam~