Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by steeeven View Post
    bump didn't want to make a new thread. But once a 1.6L jumps to a 1.8L would it be p plate legal in NSW? I'm from QLD and might be moving back to sydney. I heard about the 15% capacity thing.
    Well, tell us the exact capacity of both engines. Let's assume your standard engine is 1598cc ( for example) so you times that by 1.15 to get the maximum capacity replacement engine to be installed. Which is 1837cc. The b18b , and all b18c variants are under this capacity.
    This means, your brakes are sufficient for this engine increase of capacity and don't require engineering. If you had a 1.3 breeze you would need to upgrade brakes for example

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    As bove ^

D16y1/d16a8 = 1590cc most d16's are rated around there
    B16a = 1595cc
    B18c's are 1797cc

Since you have a d16 = 1590cc increase by 15% = max of 1828.5cc which is way below whats stated 1797cc
    However when i got my one blue slipped d16y1 to b18c2 it was stated 1834cc for the b18c2 which was over the limit, he said that rta would check upon the records and then require me to get engineers cert. but so far nothing 2-3yrs + now
    but i have no idea how he got 1834cc

Are your rear brakes drums or disc brakes?

Member Array
    Car:
    97 integra
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Well, tell us the exact capacity of both engines. Let's assume your standard engine is 1598cc ( for example) so you times that by 1.15 to get the maximum capacity replacement engine to be installed. Which is 1837cc. The b18b , and all b18c variants are under this capacity.
    This means, your brakes are sufficient for this engine increase of capacity and don't require engineering. If you had a 1.3 breeze you would need to upgrade brakes for example
    oh i get it now thanks for clearing that up

Quote Originally Posted by duzy View Post
    As bove ^

D16y1/d16a8 = 1590cc most d16's are rated around there
    B16a = 1595cc
    B18c's are 1797cc

Since you have a d16 = 1590cc increase by 15% = max of 1828.5cc which is way below whats stated 1797cc
    However when i got my one blue slipped d16y1 to b18c2 it was stated 1834cc for the b18c2 which was over the limit, he said that rta would check upon the records and then require me to get engineers cert. but so far nothing 2-3yrs + now
    but i have no idea how he got 1834cc

Are your rear brakes drums or disc brakes?
    thanks for the info. I have dc2 vtir brakes all round so disc brakes. But i'm looking at getting an em1 and have some plans for a b18c2 in there in the future.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by pat88c View Post
    RTA do ask as i did mine and ask for a JP cert (Justices of the Peace ) document with how u got motor when i handed the blue slip in to transfer engine number over
    Normal there a JP at post offices

You best go to the RTA First ask for print out of the your vehicle info (VIn number, Engine number, etc) and then check it with your engine number in your engine block

Then after you check that if incorrect then go get a bluelip to "adjustment of records" to the correct engine number

Got a question do you have anything else which has been change to your Ek? if so may a engineers cert be a good thing to help you next time you get pull over by copper less defects or none
    Just sayin'.

RTA didn't ask me.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EJ8
    do people actually pay attention to the engine number details on the RTA rego paper? lol whats the point of changing it. Its your car, doesnt matter if its engine converted or not as long u rego ur car its fine?? why waste money getting blue slip just for making the correct info on the paper? are these people that fussy?? damn man

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    ^good luck getting defected with the new engine number or EPa'ed.........if its over 15% either get it engineered or lose registration on the car... fun times

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Or swap the engine back to original if you have it still.......

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtakk View Post
    do people actually pay attention to the engine number details on the RTA rego paper? lol whats the point of changing it. Its your car, doesnt matter if its engine converted or not as long u rego ur car its fine?? why waste money getting blue slip just for making the correct info on the paper? are these people that fussy?? damn man
    taking the approach of "its my car I don't need to change the engine number" can also mean your insurance is void should you be in an accident and your insurance company checks up on your car.

If the engine number hasn't been changed you are technically driving a non-road worthy vehicle....

I don't care if you crash into a tree and write your car off and your insurance doesn't pay out, but when you crash into someone else and your insurance doesn't pay out you will be financially responsible for fixing the other parties car....

that sound like fun?

the $80 it will cost you now will save hassles down the road

Member Array
    Car:
    ED6
    where to get engine check if it's stolen ? going to buy engine soon to do engine swap

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Check with rta as far as i know, because they hold the information on the vin number of the car that the engine was originally from. WHen i went to register my b20 to my integra, they said the CRV vin number was showing up that the car was still registered and the wrecker needed to lodge notice of disposal.

Newcomer Array
    what if you bought an engine from this forum ?
    do you just say that you bought it from like a private dealer ?

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    just get the seller to write you out a recipt with his name, licence, signature,
    should be good to go, and make sure to ask if the engine has been de-registered at rta or disposal notice lodged