Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

changing front wheel bearings - DC2

anyone done this at home?

how did you simulate a press? or do you HAVE to use a press?

how much pressure did it need?

or should i just take the hubs to a workshop?

cheers!
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    take it to the hub shop. I got my friend who has a shop to do it for me and only charged me $300.

The bloody front bearings cost $290 from honda. That's what he got them for so it might be worse. Not sure if they need to be pressed out. Just make sure they use OEM bearings as the non geniune don't look that good.

WTF? i am paying $45.70 for one bearing.

http://www.procureit.com.au/bearings.html

same OEM as Honda uses...

so back to my question:

anyone who has actually done this themselves, did you need a press or can you simulate one with say a bottle jack or something?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    press is the only way to go dude. you might do damage any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    take it to the hub shop. I got my friend who has a shop to do it for me and only charged me $300.

The bloody front bearings cost $290 from honda. That's what he got them for so it might be worse. Not sure if they need to be pressed out. Just make sure they use OEM bearings as the non geniune don't look that good.
    That's quite an expensive price for the bearings. I'm thinking that my cousin would have a big problem on his budget because he was planning to change the stock and worn-out bearings on his car with a trw bearings (which he think is cheaper compare to oem) but it seems the labor for it is also expensive. Anyway, I'm gonna advice him to better save more money for this replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    press is the only way to go dude. you might do damage any other way.
    will a "Super Cheap Auto" press suffice?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Just take it to a place that does it day in and out. If you supply hubs + new bearing it shouldn't cost more then $30 a side to press in new bearings.

Exactly as said above. A good hydraulic press will suffice though if doing it at home.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Easier just to take it to any workshop, I got one of my fronts done and they charged me $15 to take the old one out and press the new one in.

$45 is a bloody good price, I paid $63 from CBC bearings. All up to do both fronts, shouldn't cost more than about $170 as long as you can take the hub off yourself which is a very basic job.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

i bought a shitty 6T ebay press and it got the job done, then another job, then another job and another job...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

what a wake up from the dead - i was going to offer you use of my press until i saw the date of the original post
    MFactory Competition Products

I drive a BB6 Prelude. I checked my front wheels this week and they move a tiny bit...

I say about 1 degree of movement with my hands on 9 and 3 o clock..When I move my front wheels at 12 and 6 o clock it's solid...no wobble at all...

Any idea if that's normal?