Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000

1, 3, 5 's Shifting.

Hey guys. Well this is a simple one i guess.. The 6 speed gearbox in the S's wherent really made for everyday driving as we can tell.. So what i do is a technique called 1,3,5's. Which consists simply of taking off in first, then revving it till about 3.5-4, then taking it from 1 to 3.. Skipping second. My question is, is this any bad?. Does it wear anything out quicker then normal. Note: I dont strain the motor, i only do it on level or downhill roads, lol, and so that the car doesnt bog when shifted.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    01 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by VeYzZii View Post
    Hey guys. Well this is a simple one i guess.. The 6 speed gearbox in the S's wherent really made for everyday driving as we can tell.. So what i do is a technique called 1,3,5's. Which consists simply of taking off in first, then revving it till about 3.5-4, then taking it from 1 to 3.. Skipping second. My question is, is this any bad?. Does it wear anything out quicker then normal. Note: I dont strain the motor, i only do it on level or downhill roads, lol, and so that the car doesnt bog when shifted.
    Skip Shifting is bad for your synchronizes. Try and use all your gears. It can also lead to difficulty getting your car into gear.
    My friend has an EF manual and his syncros are stuffed from too much skip shifting and when I drive his car I literally have to use all my strength to put it into first half the time.
    Best off not to do it, or as little as possible.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S13
    Quote Originally Posted by VeYzZii View Post
    The 6 speed gearbox in the S's wherent really made for everyday driving as we can tell.
    What makes you think that? lol.

Skipping is fine, I don't see a point in it but and it seems somewhat "lazy"

But you will be fine as long as you revmatch correctly.
    FYS

My fake shit rocks!
    Winton 1:35.4
    Wakefield 1:07.87

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I think you'll wear your synchros very quickly if u don't double clutch slowly..

Synchros are there to match the speed of a gear to that of your shaft, skipping gears is fine as vyets said with good revmatching however you need to use the correct gear when going uphill whether its a small incline or a mountain. Some people use a higher gear and strains the engine... Invariably accelerating engine wear =|
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Hmm yea. Thoughtso. I wouldnt expect it to do your synchros. But yea DreadAngel, nah im lazy.. Not stupid :P

This topic was on the s2ki forums too. the honda rep there also said that it's bad for the box. Then went on to explain why its bad and what it does in detail. Basically It messes up ur sycros coz they're spinning at different speeds and when shifted into the gear it hits even if u wait a while it still knocks abit. Or something like that and then they start getting sticky gears and so on.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    As far as i know, arent synchros engaged when the gear is selected, as in when the gear is being put in, not prior.. So why would it mess your synchros :S

foowoei you got a link??

Hey guys
    http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=237209
    This is one of the posts. Not the original one but ull get the gist of it.
    There are some pics of a sticky box.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Whoa... Interesting. Very interesting dude. Well done. +1

Hey cool. Thanks for the point dude.
    I hope it's saved a some ppl a rebuild. I was abit surprised too when I read the post.
    I used to do that heaps with all my other cars and one of my friends did that with his is200 coz he changed the fd, that never had issues either.
    I Guess it's only with the s2k that u cant do that.
    It would suck ass if u changed ur fd to a 4.7 or something like that and cant skip gears.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S13
    I have 4.77 and dont skip
    And its not just the s2k its all cars if ur lazy to shift get a auto
    FYS

My fake shit rocks!
    Winton 1:35.4
    Wakefield 1:07.87