Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EK Gearbox Dies. What Do?

Hey guys,

Just like a missus, when it starts making whinging sounds (especially when moving down gears) you gotta replace the thing.

So I've resigned myself to getting a refurb gearbox from the wreckers (Only a few hundred! Stoked because Honda told me to expect to pay like $1500 at least!).

What I want to know is: What else should I get done while theyre at it? Obvious choices are replace the flywheel (current factory one has been machined before) with a light weight one and perhaps upgrade the clutch. Anyone know how much I'd be laying out for these items and what traders I could speak to about it? Even if theres traders or something on here who are able to do the work I'd be interested in hearing a quote?

Thanks guys
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

a wrecker will never sell
    You a "refurbed" anything. They only sell second hand goods. So it is used with ? Ks and condition

But , perhaps it's the cheapest option. To rebuild a
    Gearbox ranges depending on what needs replacing.
    I'd consider the 2nd hand one. Just get it drop it in then drive drive.

Consider a findaza or similar flywheel and heavy duty clutch for better feel and peppier throttle response.
    Shoot me a pm I can provide all things labour wise in regards to this
    Last edited by bennjamin; 21-10-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Ok cool thanks Ben, will draft up a PM now ;-)

I called Honbits for it and they said they either had straight up 2nd hand gearboxes or refurbished ones. They reckon go the refurb because it comes with warranty on their work? But for all I know they were freshly refurbed before the donor car was wrecked? I dunno.

I don't think I'd bother rebuilding it. The car is a little old (96) and its value is probably less than $8k so probably wouldnt be worth it. Do you know roughly what I'd have to lay down for a GOOD flywheel (doesnt have to be super awesome brandname like Spoon or whatehaveyou, but a decent one) and clutch? Is there a clutch manufacturer I should look out for as well?

Thanks mate.

Although I am still open to hearing about other options for my clutch, as I DO hate slippage :-)

How much would I be looking at on a branded one?

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    clutch kit for a d series is generally cheap(not including flywheel)
    I hear the exedy oem/hd kits go for <300

if you're in syd, give turbo auto spares in cabramatta a call they'd probably be the cheapest locally

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i just got an Exedy OE + Exedy 10lbs Racing flywheel kit from USA ebay for $400aud posted to my door =)

i would also get an 'Energy Suspension Engine/Transmission Insert Kit' - it will reduce the stress on the gearbox - the clutch, flywheel and this kit are what i am putting in with my S20 B000 JDM D15b gearbox soon =)

http://www.energysuspension.com/prod...t-Inserts.html

be careful when buying S40 (EK D series) gearbox from wreckers as there isnt really any way to tell what gear ratios you are getting

for the S20 (EG D series) - its easy to tell the better ratio/final drive because they are stamped B000

but for the S40 both the VTI coupe (D16y8) and the VTI sedan (D16y5) have different gear ratios but share the same stamp B000

worse still is that honda and wreckers treat all the S40 as being the same part and the S20 also being the same part across the board

but the truth is that there is different ratios + housing for each motor

a new gearbox will set you back over $3000 and a recondition of your current box will be almost the same lol

heres some more info

http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...n-specs-29132/
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

goddamn thats a lot of money! lol I'll look into that flywheel kit etc tomorrow at work :-) Thanks mate

I drive a Gli, so I take it that it would have a different gearbox to the VTI?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    yeah it does - urs will have a S40 A000

what engine does the EK Gli have in it?

It has the 1.6L SOHC non VTEC. Yup, one of Honda's weakest engines lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    im tuning a 1.5L SOHC non VTEC - so dont beat yourself up lol

can you get the engine code for me? should be a stamp just below the exhaust manifold

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    im tuning a 1.5L SOHC non VTEC - so dont beat yourself up lol

can you get the engine code for me? should be a stamp just below the exhaust manifold

I can't remember what thread we were talking about it in, but you said there's a specific GBox from 96-00 that had a shorted FD than the rest? Was it the Y4 box?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    its the D16y8 box for sure - not sure what other AUDM models came with it

if its stamped S40 A000 than its got crap ratios
    if its stamped S40 B000 theres a 50/50 chance it has the better ratio and final drive - as the y8 and y5 have the same housing but the y5 has crappier ratio + FD
    the only way to be sure with the 96-00 (S40) is to either watch it being pulled out of the car or pull it apart and count the teeth lol

the only one u can be sure with is the S20 B000 - they will be a definite winner

problem with links like this is that its USDM/JDM - its hard to say when it comes to AUDM

http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...n-specs-29132/