Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D16y4

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1-Facelifted

D16y4

Hey Guys, I've searched the forums so please don't flame. (second post)

I need some help regarding the d16y4 - civic gli (88kw) engine
    Are there any noticealbe gains from a standard I/H/E setup? Will a heavy duty clutch or lightweight flywheel help as well? Or is it better to go down the F/I route? Being on L's soon to be P's, turbo charging the civic is not viable for a while..

I've read quite a bit about "mini-me's" and it does seem quite hard to source d16y8 head's for the conversion. Has anyone had any first hand experience? My cousin's friend, told my cousin it wasn't worth it at all.

In terms of stock power, is it sufficient as a DD? Can the d16y4 keep up with most of the daily needs? Or does it feel underpower'd when rev'd hard. I ain't a hoon, but I want to know if it'll have that "oomph" when pushed. What about the low-end torque , strong? If so, is it worth upgrading the d16y4 is anyway or is it complete waste of money? There are numerous threads arguing that the b, h and k series are much better for base blocks. I'd like to know about the d16y4 in particular, so no flaming of the d series'

Thanks in advance
    MLoo

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1-Facelifted
    Thanks man!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by mloo
    Are there any noticealbe gains from a standard I/H/E setup?
    Hardly, because it's SOHC. You'll mostly just make it sound louder. If anything you'll get some very small high-end gains.

Will a heavy duty clutch or lightweight flywheel help as well?
    A HD clutch will make your clutch pedal feel heavier whereas a stronger clutch (sports organic, for example) is entirely unnecessary for your car at this stage.
    A light weight flywheel will help the rev's go up faster and make the engine feel 'peppier' or a little quicker off the mark.

Or is it better to go down the F/I route? Being on L's soon to be P's, turbo charging the civic is not viable for a while..
    If you're on your L's then I wouldn't consider this until you're about to come off your P's, but ultimately if you want power then F/I is the best route for results.

I've read quite a bit about "mini-me's" and it does seem quite hard to source d16y8 head's for the conversion. Has anyone had any first hand experience? My cousin's friend, told my cousin it wasn't worth it at all.
    I haven't done this but I imagine it's a lot of hassle for what you'll get out of it. I'd keep the engine standard if I were you, and consider swapping the entire thing later down the track rather than just play with a new head.

In terms of stock power, is it sufficient as a DD? Can the d16y4 keep up with most of the daily needs? Or does it feel underpower'd when rev'd hard.
    It's sufficient as a daily driver in that it will get you from A to B. It will keep up with traffic fine and you shouldn't have any problems overtaking (unless you're being sill at the time.
    At the end of the day the feeling of 'power' or being 'under-powered' is really subjective. I used to drive an '86 Corolla with a 1.6L carby and when I upgraded to a 1.6L SOHC VTEC Civic it felt really fast. Now I have a CRX with a 1.6L DOHC VTEC engine, which is quick, and I'm modifying it to be faster yet.

I ain't a hoon, but I want to know if it'll have that "oomph" when pushed. What about the low-end torque , strong? If so, is it worth upgrading the d16y4 is anyway or is it complete waste of money? There are numerous threads arguing that the b, h and k series are much better for base blocks. I'd like to know about the d16y4 in particular, so no flaming of the d series'
    It will go enough when you need it to, but I guess that really depends on what you ask it to do. The low-end torque will probably feel sh!t because it's a SOHC 1.6.
    As for upgrading I think it's very worth it! I love modifying my 1.6 SOHC VTEC engine because it's fun. I just try to do everything as cheaply as possible and although the gains are minimal it's enjoyable to get your hands dirty, make it look nice, sound great and if you get a few extra KW that's just a bonus IMO.
    Ultimately the B, H, and K series engines are far superior to the D because they produce more power and have a greater potential to be modified, but don't let that deter you. The D-series can be murderous when modified appropriately, but that's a very expensive path.
    I think just enjoy what you have, an economical engine. You can get a small amount of extra power for a cheap price, but also consider other upgrades such as suspension. If you were to get some front/rear strut braces and a rear sway bar, with maybe some sporty shocks/springs I guarantee you'd have more fun than you would with extra power!

GL and start a worklog

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1-Facelifted
    Hey thanks for the detailed info dougie_504!
    I see you've got an CRX as your dp? Your's? Look awesome! I've always wanted a panda CRX. With my budget I'm heading towards and ek sedan(for looks+safety), gsi dc4(power) or a CRX (looks)

In terms of fun, would you say buying a '91 crx is better than a ek sedan? I haven't got a car yet and I'd like to get as much info on potential cars, don't have that much cash as well. I know the ek sedan wins hands down in the safety department. It would be my daily from uni and part time work etc. If I can land a job, haha.

If I was to purchase a CRX, I know that that I can't install aftermarket airbags. But would the CRX definiitely win in performance? What engine is the CRX running ? I've never known, but you sound really exp'd, and I like talking to exp'd peeps LOL. I really lilke both the looks of the CRX and the ek sedan. So I'm deciding on stock performance of each car and safety.

Thanks for the advice again, hope i'm not annoying you lols.
    Last edited by mloo; 23-10-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    Hey man ive got an EG with a recently done D16y4 conversion and its tops as far as im concerned

ive done a 15.6 at the tracks completely stock (no air filter) with all seats on and street tyres... removed subs on the day for some weight reduction

its a good engine, and there is a real kick at 4k rpm on all gears to third...i use up $45 per week on fuel and i drive it everyday

my bros got a dual carb EG daily, they are reliable but lack the fun factor

hope this helps

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1-Facelifted
    Woah sounds nice! What was your engine beofre the d16y4 conversion? How much did it cost you to do the conversion? Why not go a bseries or higher?

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    i had the d15b7 i think the gli engine

the conversion set me back $1k which is dirt cheap, although i had to buy some parts like the clutch, some gear bearings....all up including labour about $1.5k

i was sourcing a b series engine at the time but couldnt find one within my budget

and plus i needed some extra cash to fix up the exterior

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1-Facelifted
    Oh fair enough, nah still sounds mean as with a 15.6, just out of interest, do you know much about the CRX?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by mloo View Post
    Hey thanks for the detailed info dougie_504!
    I see you've got an CRX as your dp? Your's? Look awesome! I've always wanted a panda CRX. With my budget I'm heading towards and ek sedan(for looks+safety), gsi dc4(power) or a CRX (looks)

In terms of fun, would you say buying a '91 crx is better than a ek sedan? I haven't got a car yet and I'd like to get as much info on potential cars, don't have that much cash as well. I know the ek sedan wins hands down in the safety department. It would be my daily from uni and part time work etc. If I can land a job, haha.

If I was to purchase a CRX, I know that that I can't install aftermarket airbags. But would the CRX definiitely win in performance? What engine is the CRX running ? I've never known, but you sound really exp'd, and I like talking to exp'd peeps LOL. I really lilke both the looks of the CRX and the ek sedan. So I'm deciding on stock performance of each car and safety.

Thanks for the advice again, hope i'm not annoying you lols.
    Yeah that's my CRX. It's an SiR (VTEC model) and I only use it as my occasional weekend car. I have a '94 Civic VTi sedan as my daily driver

My honest opinion is that the CRX, regardless of model, is more fun to play with than a Civic. But that's mostly because I love their shape. However as standard they're also a bit lower, quite a bit lighter in mass, and the vast majority of them come with twin cam engines which are zippier and more responsive to modifications.
    At the end of the day I've driven a few of each the Civic and CRX and the CRX takes the cake for me every time (for fun).

As for safety, the CRX is a joke. Second generation CRX's have a 1/5 star safety rating at best. No air bag, no ABS, no crumple zone, very light weight etc. They're also not passenger friendly as most are 2-seater and the ones with rear seats aren't exactly very spacious in the back lol. I've had 3 people max in mine and for the life of me can't fit a passenger behind me!

So the Australian delivered CRX (and some of the Japanese) runs a 1.6L DOHC non-VTEC engine. It produces 96kw and in a 890kg chassis that's plenty of power. These can be found for like $2,500-7,000 depending on condition.
    The Japanese SiR model came with the 1.6L DOHC VTEC engine making 117.9kw along with some appearance and construction differences and is a true pleasure to drive. It weighs a bit more than the non-VTEC model but the power to weight ratio is fantastic and they're built to handle corners. I doubt you'd find one of these for less than $7,000 in decent condition and they still fetch close to $10,000 for a great condition example.

Ultimately the CRX is my choice poison. They're worth every penny and are recognised by many enthusiasts as a timeless classic.

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    I love CRX's, always have but personally id rather have a safer more practical car that is also fun to drive.

Dougie when we gunna see a thread on ur crx, looks mint man

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i noticed a nice torque difference with ebay 4-2-1 headers - good value for money mod

simota intake is also value for money mod - but it can be a little loud lol

cant really help out much - dont know much about the Y4

if it was a Y5, Y8, Y1, Z6, D15b7 or D15 vtec i could help lol

generally you wont get much back from a SOHC engine - so dont plan to throw tonnes of cash at it

you can go turbo - but you are better off staying with the basics if you are a beginner

the best things u can do for the engine are:
    - ebay headers
    - ebay intake kit
    - 2.25" custom catback
    - hondata intake manifold gasket
    - low end cam
    - OEM fluids etc
    - B000 gearbox swap

the best things you can do for handling are:
    - spring/shocks OR coilovers
    - front + rear strut braces
    - front lower brace
    - swaybar + tie brace
    - weight reduction
    Last edited by TheSaint; 24-10-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680