Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Prelude (5th)

Need suspension advice after accident

Hi everyone,

So basically my situation is this:
    Unfortunately the other day in wet weather, when going around a roundabout there was a massive puddle of water I didn't see and I aquaplaned straight into the gutter. I wasn't going fast at all but hey that's life.

Anyway, the front left wheel and suspension was damaged. I drove the car a short distance afterwards but the alignment was way off so to be safe I got it towed, to a Pedders suspension place nearby (didn't realise they had such a bad reputation until doing research now).

Their diagnosis was that pretty much all suspension components on the front left need to be replaced (strut & fork, upper & lower ball joints, tie rod end, upper & lower control arms, stub axle assembly AND steering rack).
    Their quote was $1300 for installation/labour only, and I had to source them parts from a wrecker, brand new parts would be way too much I was told.
    My car is a 97 prelude vtir btw.

I had a look underneath myself and tried to compare to the other unaffected side, and although I may be wrong, to my (untrained) eye only the lower control arm seemed bent. Can try and take some pics tomorrow if this helps.

So i guess my questions are as follows:
    1. Has anyone had a similar experience? And is this sort of damage possible from what seemed like a minor hit?
    2. Is that quote reasonable? (I understand this may be a vague question). $1300 seems a bit much.
    3. Does anyone know any good suspension places in Melbourne/East Melb that I can take it to for a 2nd opinion?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    Depending where you are, you could try take it to Techsport in Bayswater? They do my alignment and know their suspension well. Or just really any good mechanic in general to get a diagnosis on whats damaged.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    hi there, where im from we have a pedders suspension also, and i put my car in for a wheel alignment and when i got my car back they told me i needed to spend an extra $1000 because just about every rubber and bush was gone, i however was a 3yr mechanic apprentice at the time and had a look at the car myself and none of the rubbers where damaged at all. and my boss said the same.

if i were you i would have someone hu has a little mechanical knowledge to have a look at it for you before you fork over any cash.
    jdmEG5: Will u take 2 ounces of weed +$500 your way? I'm not kidding.

Speed is a matter of money... How fast can you AFFORD to go?

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    If you own a shitty dero commodore you take it to pedders.

I would be taking it somewhere else mate and getting their honest opinion, from a minor hit you wouldnt expect that much damage.