Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII

Sluggish AUDM DC5 R ???

hi all... i live in Jakarta (hot and humid)... and i am quite 'unlucky' (yes u read it right) to get one of those AUDM DC5R... ( i used to have a JDM DC5R, but i traded with my mates who had this nice and clean with low Km AUDM DC5R). population of DC5 models (base or 'R') are very limited, prob only 4-5 in Jakarta.

Anyway... i am very happy with it... not a problem whatsoever... however there are few things i like to ask:
    1. my mate (who owns a garage) said that my AUDM DC5R is not as quick as a type R should be... he said it felt sluggish .... well he used to own a JDM FD2R.... and currently drive an EVO X...
    but me myself feels that the DC5R is much faster than my 7th gen Celica ZR..... way faster.... yes, at times it feels sluggish, especially with the aircon on, and at low rpm before hitting the 3000 rpm....
    anyone knows what might contribute to this sluggishness??

2. whenever i engage the clutch (the pedal pressed), i can hear like a very light humming or whirring noise, but very faint. it goes away whenever the clutch pedal is depressed/ unengaged. anyone know if there is anything i should be worried about? also my mate who owns the garage said that my clutch pedal engages a bit too high.... well, i have got a complete COMPETITION CLUTCH + FLYWHEEL set, but i dont wanna change them, until i completely used up the current OEM clutch.... what you guys think? should i change the clutch??

3. at times in the morning after sitting a long time (like 12 hours) when i cold start the engine, there is like a brief grinding sound (like 1-2 secs) after the engine turns. but i notice that only happen when the car is parked on the house driveway (in a slopy 30 degree angle parking). this never happen when i park in my office on a flat surface. what could that be?

Really appreciate any of your inputs, as DC5 here is very limited.........

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Well the AUDM DC5R has roughly 17kw less then the JDM DC5R due to it having bigger headers/exhaust and better ECU and having brembo's aswell =( but once you start modding then theres no difference

the grinding noise, alot of people have complained about it and some say its the starter motor on its way, i honestly don't no why it does that but mine use to do that quite abit till i wouldnt turn the key and hold it there as much as i use to.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII
    hi Wez_r..... my AUDM mod include: HKS short ram (which people say are very prone to heatsoak, as temp here is around 32-34Deg all tear); JDM Intake with plenum (got it from Yonas of JDMYARD); Comptech race header and Tanabe Medallion Racing exhaust.... some people say the stock airbox is better than any short ram, esp in hot humid weather with hellish traffic .... what do you think?

the starter motor huh?? okay i might start looking for this replacement part... (i have heaps of OEM parts stacked haha... like engine mounts, O2 sensors, clutch + flywheel)......

how about the wierd faint humming/ whirring sound from the clutch.. any inputs?

thanks so much.... oh by the way I was in Sydney last month... but did not see any DC5R ....... mostly are base Integra..........

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Im not that smart when it comes to things like that with cars so not to sure about the clutch,
    wait till other people start replying they would have more of an understanding then me,
    in that heat the stock airbox would probably be better or look into cold air intake, the ram intake wouldnt be doing anything in them kinds of heat.

Can't really say much more at the moment sorry,
    Maybe if its feeling sluggish see how it runs on a dyno and see if its loosing power.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII
    no worries mate !!! I really appreciate it !!

Ive spoken to my Auto Elec about the starter motor... its a COMMON fault... The starter most likely just needs a service and possibly a nice ring in it (would go with a Toda one if your replacing) but yeah...
    He told me, if it hasn't broken down then don't worry, it should be on the last of your things...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII
    Thanks WATAJK.............

Dude it aint worth buying brand new i can assure you...
    They're fkn expensive... buy a second hand one and get it rebuilt with HD gear ring because the starter is in a bitch of a place and any place you take it to will charge you abit to change it...
    U can get one from the UK for like 300 landed i think in good nick....
    Get it serviced, rebuilt and it should run like new if not better but for time being leave it be

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 ITR; Celica SSII
    Cool ..........