Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spring rates

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    if it was me my optimum set up would be OEM EK9 swaybars and 10F 8R spring rate with koni shocks.

ive heard that V8 super cars run a soft sussy set up but they have HUGE sway bars.

fatboyz wats ur EG running.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    You haven't given enough information for anyone to help. Where does your current setup lack?

If your shocks are any good (+wide range of adjustment) then maybe grab a pair of 12s and 14s, giving you at least 4 viable permutations to try out (9f 12r and especially 9f 14r might be a bit strange coming from 9f 5r). Most race cars are tuned the old fashion way - tweaking parameters, teasting and repeating.

A set of 4 springs will cost less than a single trackday. Race cars are expensive and if you can't afford a few spare sets of springs then perhaps suspension tuning isn't a suitable hobby.

Then how do you choose your swaybar?!?
    I agree once again with everything this guy has said. I think I said a similar thing in the other thread in the suspension forum. Test, test and test again.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Quality springs arnt cheap.
    Compared to a lot of other costs involved in track they are pretty cheap IMO, certainly compared to a good damper. I have bought new Swift springs for $200 a pair and used ones for closer to $100 a pair, and used race springs aren't hard to come by.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Benny, IMO, springs are cheap. What sprigns are you using?

LOL already bashing the wagon? I'll be happy to lend you a set of them when i'm done and see how you like them. I said soon didn't I? I posted that about a week ago.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    if it was me my optimum set up would be OEM EK9 swaybars and 10F 8R spring rate with koni shocks.

ive heard that V8 super cars run a soft sussy set up but they have HUGE sway bars.

Well back in its street/track spec was running 14kg/6kg.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R Series 2
    I'm interested in comments as my EG has aftermarket springs (who know what spring rates but pretty soft!) and ITR shocks.

I have been tracking and hillclimbing the car and it had WAY too much bodyroll and plenty of oversteer on corner entry - fun, but frustrating. I have stock EG5 rear sway (14mm?) just changed to a whiteline 22mm front sway. Haven't raced it yet but feels like front bodyroll is greatly reduced, oversteer has been replaced by understeer and although it feels a little more glued to the road, it is definitely less playful and I doubt it would be any quicker through the corners. Not a fan of plough understeer - especially when all the EG's I have owned are so balanced, even with stock EG6 sussy!

I am thinking stiffer springs all round, like 8-10kg front and 6kg rear, and, when the money is there, better shocks. Any observations?
    iijjee
    Turbos Torque... VTEC Speaks!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    get a thicker rear sway bar, for the rear, at least a 18mm i rekon, that should even up the understeer, combined with stiffer suspension should make it handle much better
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Integra R
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    True, which one will you choose first? Swaybar or spring rate LOL... you'll be chasing your own tail. I like to start from OEM honda swaybar size. We currently the fastest Honda at eastern creek/wakefield and run OEM ITR swaybars. 25mm front and 22mm Rear (*could be wrong). Spring rates cant say too much but it aint no where close to spring rates mentioned.
    But are you the best handling Honda, I believe you run a big hp motor which may well make up for any handling deficiencies you may or may not have .Seems like a great idea to start with OEM stuff and go from there with bars but spring rates need to match the type of tyres being used.I believe in getting the utmost out of a chassis before any motor upgrades.Without any more info I'd give the 12 and 10s a go.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Integra R
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post

The reason V8 supercars run softer springs now is because of the crappy no grip control Dunlop tyres and thats in the rear as they still need something reasonably hefty in the front to take the weight of the motor and gearbox

Member Array
    Car:
    90 EF8 siR
    I run f: 20kg r:18 swift springs with J's Racing shocks, yes it sounds harsh, but the shock is so well designed and constructed that the ride is quite comfortable even as a daily drive. At the front I run Potenza RE-11 tyres, and KU36's at the rear. If you run higher or lower spring rates that aren't mated to the shocks, you will have problems