Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spring rates

spring rates

hey all just wondering what spring rates people are running in there track cars

i have an ek civic hatch currently with front 9kg and rear 5kg, my car is more for track then street and am looking for something much heavier. I have been told to run like f12 r10 but have seen some coilovers like spoon that come with f18 r16, also seen up to 22kg up front on some setups in japan. Not too sure what to go for, any opinions would be great.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    dont run 2 stiff, i think a F12, R10 will be plenty. if u want to get rid of roll and be stable in the corners get bigger sway bars.

2 stiff sussy, wont absorb the bumps if the track has bumps on entry/exit to a corner and can put the car out of balance.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    You need to base your spring rates off your swaybar, and sorry to burst your bubble, you won't be able to work it out by looking at your swaybar and selecting a size to suit, it's alot more complicated than that. Centre of gravity, weight distribution, ride frequency goal, weight transfer, car weight, roll centre, alot plays.

We will be providing a full tuned race setup which can be used on the street to suit each specific Honda, I'm sick of the crap from tein, buddyclub, bc, they are all shit. There is a myriad of dynoplots to prove.

The bottom line is, you cannot produce a suspension setup for every single car out there. Someone might have awesome benefits with teins and 22kg springs, and someone might prefer a softer package.

IMO, ask around like crazy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    also comes down to the track its being used on, some tracks have some serious bumps, an will require change of spring rates an damper settings to suit the track to achieve best times, but than again, it does also come down the the driver, how the setup suits him/her

As said, F12 R10 is optimum... i think u will find that on race cars, none of em run the same sus setup every track, it has to be tailored to the track, spring rate, camber, damper etc etc
    Last edited by mugen_ctr; 05-11-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    You need to base your spring rates off your swaybar, and sorry to burst your bubble, you won't be able to work it out by looking at your swaybar and selecting a size to suit, it's alot more complicated than that. Centre of gravity, weight distribution, ride frequency goal, weight transfer, car weight, roll centre, alot plays.

We will be providing a full tuned race setup which can be used on the street to suit each specific Honda, I'm sick of the crap from tein, buddyclub, bc, they are all shit. There is a myriad of dynoplots to prove.

The bottom line is, you cannot produce a suspension setup for every single car out there. Someone might have awesome benefits with teins and 22kg springs, and someone might prefer a softer package.

i get where ur coming from, i know its alot more then basing it off the swaybar and that theres alot of other factors that contribute to choosing a right spring rate. its depends on where u take the car to race at and u need to find a medium to suit all tracks, unless u have the cash to swap out springs to every track u go to.
    im just saying going stiffer isnt always better
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

You haven't given enough information for anyone to help. Where does your current setup lack?

If your shocks are any good (+wide range of adjustment) then maybe grab a pair of 12s and 14s, giving you at least 4 viable permutations to try out (9f 12r and especially 9f 14r might be a bit strange coming from 9f 5r). Most race cars are tuned the old fashion way - tweaking parameters, teasting and repeating.

A set of 4 springs will cost less than a single trackday. Race cars are expensive and if you can't afford a few spare sets of springs then perhaps suspension tuning isn't a suitable hobby.

You need to base your spring rates off your swaybar
    Then how do you choose your swaybar?!?
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    adjustable sway bars, are really the only go if ur looking for flexibility, whiteline usually have 2-3 differ adjustment for sway bars.... i think what he hasnt mentioned as pointed out, his current setup, it mite not be that he needs stiffer coil-overs but more of the smaller stuff done to it before hitting the spring rate
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Swaybar and spring choice is all about balancing them string. Too big of a swaybar or too big of a spring, make the call in the middle.

Springs are dirt cheap, if you were serious about finding the right spring you would have a set ready to throw in and test with. You'll find each setup will require a different spring.

What shocks are you running?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quality springs arnt cheap.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Invest in some quality dampers. Most important what kind of tyre you using?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post

Then how do you choose your swaybar?!?
    True, which one will you choose first? Swaybar or spring rate LOL... you'll be chasing your own tail. I like to start from OEM honda swaybar size. We currently the fastest Honda at eastern creek/wakefield and run OEM ITR swaybars. 25mm front and 22mm Rear (*could be wrong). Spring rates cant say too much but it aint no where close to spring rates mentioned.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A

So what are these full tuned suspension setup? Seem to say alot but not much happening?