engine swap rules

just wanted to ask what are engine swap rules in vic? particularly interested if swapping zc 1.6 to a b18 on a dc2. what do i need to do to legally complete engine swap with engine registered to car?

-do i just swap it in and tell vic roads, "hey i got b18 in my dc2."

-do i need it engineered?

- do i even need to tell vic roads that i've changed the engine

-will doing a manual conversion at the same time change any of the above?

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    If it's a B18c2 or B18c7 then I'm pretty sure you can just go to VicRoads and change engine details without need for engineering. This is because those engines were available in that type of vehicle in Australia. You're best to call up VicRoads to clarify before going ahead with it though as laws are always changing.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    why does your dc2 have a ZC in it?

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    JDM spec

with manual conversions, can anybody shed some light if it needs to be engineered?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Not sure about engineering for tranny swap but it makes sense that you'd need an engineering certificate to 'prove it was done properly' IE they'll take a bite out of your butt because they can.

Rules in VIC regarding engine swaps:
    - Must be replacement of original spec engine (same engine variant IE D16Y1 swapped to D16Y1 or B18C7 swapped to B18C7)
    - Must be a standard optional for the Australian delivered models (EG D16Y1 swapped to D16A8 or B18C2 swapped to B18C7)
    Otherwise will need a certificate

But if you're driving a JDM Integra I'm not so sure because it's an import. It might be fine because the AUDM DC2's came with B18C2 and B18C7 but you'll need to clarify this with VicRoads in case they have different rules for imports.

thanks guys, really good info you all got.

dougie_504: from what it sounds like an eg civic with D16 can't put b18 into car without engineer's certificate? coz the thing is i'm a bit confused on terminology.

body wise i'm looking at getting a jdm integra with a jdm zc 1.6L engine. i was looking to put a b18c7 since it is technically offered on the intergra body shell, the AUDM type r. and then going to vic roads to get it cleared.

dougie_504: from what it sounds like an eg civic with D16 can't put b18 into car without engineer's certificate? coz the thing is i'm a bit confused on terminology.

body wise i'm looking at getting a jdm integra with a jdm zc 1.6L engine. i was looking to put a b18c7 since it is technically offered on the intergra body shell, the AUDM type r. and then going to vic roads to get it cleared.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by hoey888 View Post

Correct about the EG. As for Integra you'll have to ask VicRoads because I'm not sure how they feel about imports and engine swaps. Fingers crossed they'll let you do it because the C7 was offered in AUDM