Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by manonastick View Post
    Funny thing is. . . his the only guy that has 2 original keys + red key + original manual . . . The way neater ones i checked are like one sets of keys only and not even the manual . . those ones are the ones listed for 20k above. . .
    You can buy manuals online. You can also buy service logbooks online.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda s2000
    i don't think logbooks are always a deal breaker.

My logbook hasn't been touched since i got the car because i do all my own services lol..

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Sae I do my own servicing too, however I fill out the log book, & keep the receipts for oil, filters etc, so I have a record of what was used for myself.

This will also provide a record of the maintenance done on the car, when the time comes to sell.

in relation to resale, buyers wont like the fact you service it yourself.

they dont know what kind of person you are, whether you have mechanical prowess or not and how meticulous you are at keeping your car mechanically A1.

if i was to buy a car from Robert of Hannys, id trust if there were no log books cos i know who he is and his expertise with Hondas (or do i?)

if i was buying a car off a 21 year old, how can you be sure he even knows how to change oil properly?

log books or not, an inspection and a test drive is the only way you can be sure of the condition of the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    The 2-3k you lose from the sale for not having logbooks is more than made up for in the amount of money you save servicing the car yourself.
    The issue is how much more difficult it might be to sell. If the car is in genuinely good shape and the buyer is diligent with inspections I don't see why there should be any problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic ep3
    Some ppl may not even consider looking at a car without log books so you minimize the buyers market without log books.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    I'm sure that some of you can service your car properly, but there's no way for anybody else to know that. I would never buy a car that somebody has "serviced themselves", because more often than not, it means that the car as actually just been neglected.

I service my car. I have the means to pay a dealer but I don't trust them, they know what they're doing but in my opinion they are generally pushed too hard to get the job done quickly rather than properly. I also get a sense of satisfaction from working on my car.
    I purchase original parts, keep all receipts and have never had trouble selling cars I have owned.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Indie, saying no way, or never, is a very foolish way to go. In my case you would be robbing yourself of a chance to buy a 32000Km S, which will be much better maintained than would be a dealer serviced car. The fact that you could look at the couple of Triumphs that I have restored should reassure you, as would perhaps the information of the F1 & F11 cars I maintained back in the day.

The only car we get regularly serviced by a dealer is my wife's Mazda 2. I do find I have to keep a close watch on them, as the servicing is not as good as I would like. It is only continued as I can't be bothered with the thing myself.

At least our Mazda dealer does the job, if a little perfunctory, unlike the Ford dealer who had not disturbed the chalk marks my son put on his Ranger before having it serviced. When confronted with the evidence & photos they did at least tear up the invoice.

I bought the car 18 months ago with only 27500Km on the thing. I did get my nearest Honda dealer to do a major service, & change all fluids & hoses for me, an $1,800 job. Unfortunately on the way home, the thing started to get a little over normal temperature. They had under filled the coolant by almost half a litre.

Would you suggest I go back to them? I certainly won't be.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Service log books are "comforting" for people who don't know what to look at. You could send your car to the dealer to service every 500km and still have a pos on your hands if the owner bounces off the rev limiter constantly, clutch dumps at every set of lights or gutter bashes regularly while fish tailing their way to the dealer for this "magical" service. It's helpful to a degree but not the end all answer.

Look at the car now, not just part of their history. Much like girls ahha.

i see "never been thrashed" a lot on advertisements as if its a selling point. what is their definition of thrashed?

it seems the majority of people still think WOT/shifting at redline is harmful to an engine or something.

1. your kidding yourself if your buying a performance car and expect the owner to have never hit WOT/thrashed/redlined.
    2. its probably in better shape than someone who's always shifted at 2000 rpm all day everyday and/or short trips.

when dealing with this factor, regular maintenance would make a difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers View Post
    i see "never been thrashed" a lot on advertisements as if its a selling point. what is their definition of thrashed?

it seems the majority of people still think WOT/shifting at redline is harmful to an engine or something.

1. your kidding yourself if your buying a performance car and expect the owner to have never hit WOT/thrashed/redlined.
    2. its probably in better shape than someone who's always shifted at 2000 rpm all day everyday and/or short trips.

when dealing with this factor, regular maintenance would make a difference.
    ^ My definition of thrashed is to belt it day in and out and never adhere to service intervals, and when you do you spend the bare minimum, with shitty stuff.
    I HAVE GIVEN ALL MY CARS a beating. But they always got the best care in return. 2 way street.

But somethings I never do; like flat changing, 7000 RPM launches, or hectic burnouts where you try to gas everyone out of their homes in the cul-de-sac with oxidized rubber.
    Choke dealer