Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    ^ My definition of thrashed is to belt it day in and out and never adhere to service intervals, and when you do you spend the bare minimum, with shitty stuff.
    I HAVE GIVEN ALL MY CARS a beating. But they always got the best care in return. 2 way street.

But somethings I never do; like flat changing, 7000 RPM launches, or hectic burnouts where you try to gas everyone out of their homes in the cul-de-sac with oxidized rubber.
    i would have the same definition of thrashing as you then. no hard launches or flat shifting.

otherwise the engine was designed and intended to be used in any part of the rpm range between idle and redline. unless it was a shit quality engine, I'm sure manufacturers don't build things that break when used and maintained as intended.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by aozora View Post
    Service log books are "comforting" for people who don't know what to look at. You could send your car to the dealer to service every 500km and still have a pos on your hands if the owner bounces off the rev limiter constantly, clutch dumps at every set of lights or gutter bashes regularly while fish tailing their way to the dealer for this "magical" service. It's helpful to a degree but not the end all answer.

Look at the car now, not just part of their history. Much like girls ahha.
    Be careful. I believe you can get into trouble for posting well thought out and informative posts on OzHonda.

Seriously though, if my car is ever for sale (perhaps an estate sale?) it will come with a log book. And it will be totally pristine and never sullied by the pen of a dealer. I service my car myself and would never trust it to the trained apes at a Honda dealer.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    So true DakDak, there is no point in destroying perfectly good machinery.

There was a beautiful story about Fangio, when he was the best ever. A young thing from a ladies mag was interviewing him, & he was his usual courteous self.
    However, when she asked, "Mr Fangio, how do you put your car into a slide"? His response was to step back, & state, "madam I spend my entire time on the track preventing slides, not initiating them" & terminate the interview.

When my son first got his licence he was showing signs of being impressed by some of his acquaintances doing burnouts in their old XD XF Falcons. I told him the Fangio story, then pointed out that although no Fangio, when I was setting Bathurst lap records, I spent my entire time preventing wheel spin, not initiating it.

He got the message, & became quite quick, while displaying plenty of mechanical sympathy. I do let him drive mt Triumphs & my S.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    He'd be lousy in a drift competition though.