Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R

Vtec controller bad or good?

Heys guys, I've tryed searching for some information about the title, and can't find anything!

So I wanted to ask you guys; I personally spoke to my 2 mechanic mates and they said a vtec controller (lets say in a dc2r) will slowly damage the engine over time..is this true? I thought it simply made vtec kick in earlier...with out causing damage?! :S

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    smashed crx =]
    if you set it to kick in earlier lets say 4rpm...your going to be engaging it to early and making the engine work ALOT harder this inturn will place more strain on ur engine and internals...so yes it is damaging..personally wouldnt play around with it man

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    having a vtec controller is just wank factor and bragging lol, pretty much does nothing unless you've got a vafc tuned, then it'll make some decent power gains

imo dont waste your money on these stuff

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R
    hahah thanks for some info guys, well the thing is the type R im looking at buying, has 1 installed..and was hoping that im not buying a car that has been damaged on the inside

Yea i agree with najdi. Vtec kicking in before the engine is designed too puts heaps of strain on the engine. Ask the dude selling it if he has VAFC tuned aswell. It really depends on how long his had it for and how hard his been thrashing it. The more recent it was installed the less the damage I guess. If he says he doesnt [much] his a liar. Whats the point of a dc2r with a VTEC controller if your not planning on thrashing it? Take a look at how he maintains his car, as in cleanliness. Thats usually a dead give away whether the owner loves their car and wouldnt think of damaging it. But yea other than that not really anyway to tell.

Thanks to TODA AU my power curve does feel better now. Car was tuned with an AFC NEO and VTEC was dropped from 4900 down to 4200. There's no more VTEC kick as the power is linear and not ____/ if you know what i mean lol (dyno).

Not sure what a standalone vtec controller (the one where you simply turn a knob?) does exactly but i imagine the fuel map would be messed up. I think you simply wire it to the ECU's vtec wire but the same fuel map is used.
    Last edited by migoreng; 04-11-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R
    bought the car guys, thanks for ya help, he has it on 5k which is perfect..so no internal wear , wot is this 'vafc'? is it changin the actual computer? am i lookin at big bucks $_$

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    have a look on google for apexi vafc. there are a few types. Its not changing the whole ecu but rather a sort of add on. can adjust air/fuel ratio and when vtec kicks in.

goes for about $200-300 2nd hand, cheap alternative to aftermarket ecu, but i wouldnt muck with the settings, get a pro to tune it