Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    got done the other day with my koni yellows and koni springs for this 2/3 bs, had to get a safety certificate on the whole car and send it in with a $100 defect... bs really and the report said the suspension was fine
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    will this stand in court? this sort of precedent will actually render the law useless
    Yes, it will. Like I said, If you are done for 2/3, then report the officer. When I was pulled over (see UMAD defect pics) They tried to get me for 2/3rd's... I explained it exactly as I have here and schooled them, but they wrote down 'suspension to be engineered' in regards to the coilovers.

Quote Originally Posted by EK1.6LCIV View Post
    got done the other day with my koni yellows and koni springs for this 2/3 bs, had to get a safety certificate on the whole car and send it in with a $100 defect... bs really and the report said the suspension was fine
    That is rediculous, Koni shocks meet the 2/3rd rule no problems. As you found out, when roadworthy certificate was written out, there was no problem. If you had have agued the point they wouldnt have got you for that, but iff they felt like arseholes, they would have made up some bs list regardless.
    Problem?

FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    good shit Ox, you the man.

also, just know that an an Engineers cert wont make you invulnerable to defects, they just make it easier to clear them. means you dont have to put the car back to stock.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    exactly and the safety cert is only good for a few months or 2000kms to keep them off my back
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

VOLTEX Array
    Car:
    Bus Route 703
    bumping this up, section 5 first paragraph

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf
    Winton 1:37.76 Phillip Island 1:55.27

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    bumping this up, section 5 first paragraph

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf
    "...clearance between a suspension component and its associated bump stop is not alterered by more than 1/3..."

Measuring the total length of the shock makes no sense. The above document talks about bump travel. The 90-01 Civic/Integra doesn't have much shock travel once you lower it. Won't take more than a couple of inches to cut in in half. Annoyingly ambiguous wording indeed.
    I have signatures turned off

Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    "...clearance between a suspension component and its associated bump stop is not alterered by more than 1/3..."

Measuring the total length of the shock makes no sense. The above document talks about bump travel. The 90-01 Civic/Integra doesn't have much shock travel once you lower it. Won't take more than a couple of inches to cut in in half. Annoyingly ambiguous wording indeed.
    from an overview point it does make sense, its basically a guide. If your shock is xxxmm long with no load on it whatsoever, then you cant install anything less then 2/3rds of that length. I know technically the length of the shock has nothing to do with the throw of the shock, but with knowing this info I have gotten out of the 2/3rds rule whilst being defected many times.

Technically a honda bump stop is a small piece of rubber that is located just inder the top spring perch, around the shaft of the shock. If you pulled your springs out, your bump stop does absolutely nothing anyway.
    Problem?

FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    EG B20
    String is spot on - overal length means nothing, as does change of length without knowing what the travel was to start with.

It is the available suspension travel (bump and rebound) that must be at least 2/3rds of OEM. Problem is - it is very hard to measure because the bump stop is a real complication - they are designed to be progressive so it comes into play earlier than most think, and also means the point of max bump is hard to pinpoint.

Having said all that, if you convince a cop that you know what you are talking about with a lesser fine - then it's all good :-)

A cop testing suspension movement - while being far from scientific, may be trying to see if the car is sitting on the bump stops - an instant fail. Problem is - firmer springs will feel much the same...