Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vTec problem

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport

vTec problem

Hi, i just bought my Civic Sport
    and i realize that there isnt any effect of the vTec at all,
    i spinned it up to 6k RPM, but, the accelaration got no difference at all.....
    i thought it should have a pull back effect, or at least something different as the vTec should kick in....
    does my car have problem? or is this normal for the 8TH Gen Civic?
    Thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    i don't think you have a problem....you probaly wouldn't even notice the crossover in it !

did you test drive the car before you decided to buy it ??
    n3rb-alicious !

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by br3nny View Post
    i don't think you have a problem....you probaly wouldn't even notice the crossover in it !

did you test drive the car before you decided to buy it ??
    yes, i tested it before i buy, and i found a mechanic to check it for me, and he said the car is good.
    but i heard ppl saying that once the vTec comes in, you will 'feel' sth, but i didnt, so, i am curious to ask....
    btw, i am locating in Perth too....may i ask if u have installed HID? is there any recommendation from u?
    thanks in advance~

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    i-vtec on the new motors are designed more for fuel economy, not like the old b series etc

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Hey I have installed them. Pretty much the same for any car. I got mine from the Uk because of the bulb size I had to get for the fn2. I'd suggest going to yonas at JDMyard. They got a good deal on a decent set that won't blow after 3 months haha
    n3rb-alicious !

the k20's are i-vtecs as well lol Just that the fd2 motor isnt as powerful as the k20/

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ekay1 View Post
    the k20's are i-vtecs as well lol Just that the fd2 motor isnt as powerful as the k20/
    ?? my civic sport is K20Z.....it should have vTec.....
    fuel eficient? i saw some journal stating the next generation of civic would be much more fuel efficient and its targeted market segment is changed to aim at a lower level.....which means, the next civic would not be as luxurious than this 8th GEN.....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by br3nny View Post
    Hey I have installed them. Pretty much the same for any car. I got mine from the Uk because of the bulb size I had to get for the fn2. I'd suggest going to yonas at JDMyard. They got a good deal on a decent set that won't blow after 3 months haha
    may i ask which brand of HID did u use? and which bulb should i choose if mine is Civic Sport 4 doors one?
    wont blow ater 3 months? woo.....that's not good at all....i thouhgt the bulb could stay up to one year......am i expecting too much??

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Quote Originally Posted by duzy View Post
    i-vtec on the new motors are designed more for fuel economy, not like the old b series etc
    i agree, i-vtec motors are designed more for fuel efficiency. you'll probably hear the vtec engage(although may be more quiet than older versions) and the kick-in effect is drastically reduced.
    imo, cars these days are built more for family and A to B use.
    +rep me if you like my posts! =)
    EP3 --> 4G63 --> DC5s

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by chichichibo View Post
    Hi, i just bought my Civic Sport
    and i realize that there isnt any effect of the vTec at all,
    i spinned it up to 6k RPM, but, the accelaration got no difference at all.....
    i thought it should have a pull back effect, or at least something different as the vTec should kick in....
    does my car have problem? or is this normal for the 8TH Gen Civic?
    Thanks in advance
    The FD2 Civic Sport does have the K20Z, with VTEC.
    As mentioned above, the VTEC on a K-series is more subtle than a B-series engine.
    If you want a noticeable cross-over sound change the air filter.

B-series motors have minimal low end torque, and the VTEC cross-over is more noticeable.
    K-series on the other hand haave a more linear power/torque. Thus the VTEC cross-over is more subtle.
    Power on a K-series is spread across the entire rev range, where as in the B-series it is focused only at the top end.

Quote Originally Posted by ekay1 View Post
    FD2's are still running a K20Z with DOHC I-VTEC. You could think of it as a watered down version of the K20Z1/4 running in the DC5S/FN2R with lower compression (and hence power) in the FD2.

probably because the intake and exhaust are not being switched simaltaneously causeing a relatively smooth power curve. If the cross over points were the same then there will be more of a note change and power feel however, you are better off with different cross over points as there is usualyl moer power to be had that way and no holes in power... this was the difference between vtec and i-vtec.... lol and i drive a nissan...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by chichichibo View Post
    may i ask which brand of HID did u use? and which bulb should i choose if mine is Civic Sport 4 doors one?
    wont blow ater 3 months? woo.....that's not good at all....i thouhgt the bulb could stay up to one year......am i expecting too much??
    Can't remember the brand I used but I fitted it 3 days after I bought the car brand new.. and JUST sold it like 2 weeks ago.. so... it lasted me for almost 2 years with no issues at all? :P