Member Array
    Car:
    CVT VTI

Why are older Jazzes (02 - 03) NOT Ethanol petrol blend (E10) Compatable?

Hi,
    officially from the federal chamber of automative industries (See link below) only Jazz's 04 - onwards are E10 compatable. Just wanted to know if anyone knows exactly why and also what will be the consequences of using it on older Jazz's? Given that eventually in all States regular (91) petrol with Ethanol blended (10%) will be the norm, I don't really want to be buying PULP all the time for my 03' Jazz in the future. (I believe already in QLD you cannot by regular without Ethanol blended).

http://www.fcai.com.au/environment/c...-blend-petrol-
    Last edited by icejazz; 19-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    It's not that jazz 02-03 are incompatible with E10. Honda didn't test those jazz for E10, therefore the compatibility is unknown.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    i can imagine alot of people taking legal action against servos for when there cars stuff up from the e10 fuel

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi-S 07 Manual
    Hi icejazz,

I very much doubt that the fuel requirement of your VTi is any different to the later GD VTi and you shouldn't hesitate in giving it a try. A phone call to Honda Australia should confirm this.

For your information, I keep comprehensive fuel consumption records for my 07 VTi-s. I have found that my average fuel consumption over the life of my car (40,000kms) when running on unleaded has been 6.34 l/100km. I have also run my Jazz on E10 for 10 tanks of fuel and my average consumption was 6.95 l/100km These figures are properly calculated by actual fuel used, and not by using the display near the speedo. The type of driving has been identical for both types of fuel. The difference in consumption is therefore 10% which makes E10 the more expensive option. Where I live Caltex Vortex 95 is $1.26.9 per litre and E10 is $1.14.9. Using my consumption figures, the cost of using a premium 95 fuel will be the same as using E10. You might even get better consumption with 95 than regular 91 unleaded which would still make E10 the worse option once regular 91 unleaded is phased out.

Yes, our politicians have gone for this "feel good" policy to make themselves look good and either haven't done their homework or just don't care.

Cheers
    Artie
    Last edited by Artie; 19-11-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Our politicians also have shares in Ethanol producing plants, most shares purchased prior to this scheme being implemented.

Member Array
    Car:
    CVT VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by twing View Post
    It's not that jazz 02-03 are incompatible with E10. Honda didn't test those jazz for E10, therefore the compatibility is unknown.
    I called Honda and they spoke with the Technical team for Australia. Officially the 02 & 03 where never tested so that is why they do not include it for compatability. Unofficially the guy on the phone said that there should be no difference between the 03 & 04 cars in terms of changes to make them Ethanol compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by icejazz View Post
    I called Honda and they spoke with the Technical team for Australia. Officially the 02 & 03 where never tested so that is why they do not include it for compatability. Unofficially the guy on the phone said that there should be no difference between the 03 & 04 cars in terms of changes to make them Ethanol compatible.
    practically that would make 100% sense as there are little differences, small things have changed ie layout, airfilter, cosmetic led lights etc but there wouldnt be dramatic differences between the last 03 jazz and the new 04 GD jazz's, so a reasonable person wouldnt expect your car to breakdown after using E10. If anything, it would be because of water leakage in2 the storage tanks!

dont use ethanol btw, you're not saving the environment, nor saving your wallet.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
    nor saving your wallet.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.