Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    2 inch is good for a d16y4. 2.25 inch max, but will result in a loss of back pressure. Making your low-mid end power rly shit and give u higher top end.
    3 guys walk into a bar. The first guy told the D to get a B series.The second guy told the B to get a K series. The last guy told the K to fk off just get a V8 mate.

Ok awesome thanks guys I'll buy that one. Does the silencer kill the sound a lot or is it good to have?

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    Tats the point of a silencer. Lowers your gain from the exhaust but quiets it down. Good for cannons and loud mufflers.
    3 guys walk into a bar. The first guy told the D to get a B series.The second guy told the B to get a K series. The last guy told the K to fk off just get a V8 mate.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    That's why I suggested you get a varex so you can adjust the sound via remote control. You can have the free flow benefits when you need to and quiet at other times.

Quote Originally Posted by t4orce View Post
    That's why I suggested you get a varex so you can adjust the sound via remote control. You can have the free flow benefits when you need to and quiet at other times.
    I see.

I had a look at the Varex but they only have sizes 2.5" and up. I need 2 inch only, yeah?

Also which you recommend, the cannon or oval?

Note I want to buy this first and get the headers, etc, later on. So just bolting this on will be fine with everything else the same, right?

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    doesnt really matter at the end. They'll make up for it and mate it together. Aslong as you dont go like 2inch headers, 2.5 inch cat then 2.25 backpipe and fk around the flow of exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by EK1 Civic View Post
    doesnt really matter at the end. They'll make up for it and mate it together. Aslong as you dont go like 2inch headers, 2.5 inch cat then 2.25 backpipe and fk around the flow of exhaust.
    Thanks man I appreciate it. Did you do an exhaust to your car?

I'll buy the 2.5 inch varex cannon for my EK1. Reckon thats the best way EK1 Civic?

PS: I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions. Pretty new to this stuff.. first car.
    Last edited by ind1; 02-12-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    i heard the varex sounds shit. Theres clips on youtube to saying it sounded shit but i dunno. No i havent done an exhaust to my car but i did research the size, header design so i can maintain some back pressure for low-mid end power. Im currently quoting around for the 2 inch back pipe in stainless press since all the other parts are stainless.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    I had a 3 inch cannon and changed to a 2.5 inch varex and to me the sound improved. I also think that the intake makes a bit of a difference to how it sounds. With the 3 inch cannon, it was drony everywhere and I could feel bleeding in my ears. The varex doesn't drone and it has a sharp bark on heel and toe downshift which is nice.

ind1, if you want it louder, go for a cannon, I bought an oval muffler because I didn't want it too loud.

I had my car dynoed twice, once with the varex fully open and the other closed and there is a difference of about 4hp atw throughout the rev range. IMHO, it would seem that having this muffler allows for the compromise between noise and performance.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    Get w/e muffler you want basically aslong as you planned the rest of it. The noise is mainly what the mufflers gonna do. Whether you want loud or quiet or in between. Oval mufflers are all rounders. Cannons give high end, while ovals give benefits in all areas.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok listen I went to the exhaust shop today. One in Hudson road, Spotswood. Tidd Brothers exhaust.. Very, very helpful and kind. I didn't get a Varex as well, doing so would mean no food for a few weeks. Considered it then thought, nah, can't do that (rent, BILLS......., groceries, car servicing, etc..). I got the 2" one like you guys recommended and he also recommended.

Ok they kinda look the same in the pictures. I had a tip on my old muffler but it was all rusty looking.

Anyway, got some sound now!

Heres a before and after:

Before (was rusty lookin, sorry bad pic):

And after:

He said that if I wanted more noise (completely optional, no pressure, all up to me) that he can put a smaller resonator. What you guys think? Is that a good idea?
    Last edited by ind1; 03-12-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    Looks nice and clean, doesnt have the hey look i got a cannon tat makes noise look at me xD