Member Array
    Car:
    Integra VTI-R 1998

**HELP** A lot of Hot Air?

hi all

I have experienced the strangest thing.....on a hot day, after some enthusiastic driving, I get hot air coming out from the console where the handbrake is...

This is the wierd part - the hot air comes out ONLY when i have windows or the sunroof open. If the windows and sunroof are closed, there is NO air coming out from this gap at all!

Its probably got something to do with air pressure....but it shouldnt be happening i dont think! Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

Zac

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Yeah I know what you're referring to. Never noticed the windows open parameter of the situation, but it's kinda weird feeling having that hot air pour out near your left arm....

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    there is a rubber boot dust cover that goes around the shifter and its base. it seperates the cabin from the underside of the car. im thinking this boot may be cracked/broken, causing air to intake into the cabin under high suction.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    VIP Nissan Cima
    Dont know where or why air is coming from there, but the reason that it only happens with the windows or sunroof open is because otherwise the car would be close to airtight. Its like blowing into a bottle; its almost impossible to blow into it (with your mouth covering the opening), but if you stick a hole in the bottom of it, it is easy...

Member Array
    Car:
    F20C Clubman Build
    the hot air is coming from the underside of the car.
    The reason for it coming out when the windor or roof is open is becasue... when u drive. the air on the outside is moving alot faster than the air on the inside of the car... Slow moving air tends to want to follow fast moving air... so it will suck the slow air from inside the car out and since there is an opening at the handbrake cover the hot air from under the car will also be drawn into the car and out the windor or roof.
    Same physics apply also when u stand on the platform at the train station.. when a train comes by really quick.. the quick moving air that follows it will suck / pulll the slow moving air around it.. thus you (the person standing on the platform) will get pulled towards the train.. this is the reason why you shouldnt stand too close to the edge of the platform.
    Hope that explains it.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Silver GSi DC4
    i got this exact same problem when i installed my short shifter and im guessing when i installed it i didnt put a rubber boot on properly which covers the hole where the shifter goes through

cbf fixing it atm though haha

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra VTI-R 1998
    Thanks for that WEQ - can this boot be accessed from within the car or from the underside externally? I may give it a go to fix it myself - otherwise I'll mention it at my next service!

And also thanks to everyone else for the physics behind this.....its been interesting i tell you!

Zac

Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    there is a rubber boot dust cover that goes around the shifter and its base. it seperates the cabin from the underside of the car. im thinking this boot may be cracked/broken, causing air to intake into the cabin under high suction.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    inside the cabin.. u gotta pull the console up to expose the shiftyer
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Your open windows are causing a low pressure zone in the cabin - the air is traveling from a higher pressure zone to a lower pressure zone.