Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Teggy, Spada Vt

Chain maintenance

Ladies & Gentleducks!

recently was speaking to a mate overseas who happens to be a motocross fanatic and was discussing chain and sprocket maintenance.

what i am about to suggest is something iv already tried and seen a difference.

he suggested that i take the chain off, soak it in petrol and using a brush, clean every inch till its brand spanking new.

get a old wok, grease (not to thick not to thin). take chain and coil up and place cleaned chain in the wok and heat on a stove, place a generous amount of grease on top of the chain, using a plier flip chain over, again place more grease on the other side.

allow grease to melt while moving the chain around the wok to get the grease into each part of the chain. once you feel that the chain has been greased well. take chain out of the wok and leave to cool, uncoiled.

once cooled, shake off the excess grease by knocking chain on a fence for example. check sprockets for wear and tear, place chain back on.

you will notice that the chain life increases with this method and that one sprocket set will last a good 2 chains. also a significant difference in riding noticed. this method allows all parts of the chain unlike just using your finger to get the grease on the chain and chain to be greased only once every 6 months. in between you can still use the finger method.

hope this information helps! any questions please feel free to ask. i shall try to post up some pics next time i do this.
    -=¤§ ń Ĩ ģ ĥ ţ Ŵ ő Ł F §¤=- ™

info worth the rep point?
    WIFE AND DOG MISSING!!!
    REWARD FOR DOG

...ZzzzZzzz Array
    Car:
    Pushbike...
    +rep

Great writeup and definetly something anyone that has a DIY bone can do...
    -------------------------------------------

FFFFffffuuuuuuux999

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    and what does your mate suggest for chains that are riveted on, chuck the whole bike in the wok?

chain cleaner with a a hard brissled brush works wonders for me. i use motul chain cleaner and (cant remember the name) chain wax which doesnt fling and vuplex to clean the bike.
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

ICACHA makes a point, hahah
    why so much hassle for though seriously.
    whats wrong with just some chain cleanr and spin th wheel as you lube? just do it more frequently and keep it atthe right tension should keep it maintained long and well

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Yes, that is for dirtbike chains, THAT ARE NON O-RING! That's what they been doing since the start of time with bikes, this is nothing new. It is even in new mx bike manuals!

Do not, I repeat, do not do this with an o-ring chain. You'll be up for a new chain if you do something so stupid with an o-ring chain.

For o-ring chains, the lube is sealed in the chain. That is the whole point of the o-rings. You can lube the o-rings with chain wax, but never use CRC or WD40, as these are penetrants, and will seep through the seal, dissolve the lube, and shorten the life of your chain.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    Teggy, Spada Vt
    TYPE R POSTITIVE your spot on mate....

its not about the cleaning and the lube placed on the chain. its about allowing the lube to get into those little places that need protection. the grease will prevent sand and dust from wearing out the rings on the chain thus allowing the sprockets to have a longer life.

too be honest i used this method on my weekend ride a Spada VTR 250. unlike when the lube is applied on the chain using the "spin wheel place finger with grease on chain method", the lube stays on the chain even after hard riding.

up to you boys....was just sharing some intel.

THANKS FOR THE REPPY TWINCAM cheers
    -=¤§ ń Ĩ ģ ĥ ţ Ŵ ő Ł F §¤=- ™

info worth the rep point?
    WIFE AND DOG MISSING!!!
    REWARD FOR DOG

One thing to remember when doing chain maintenance, dont get lazy and clean it with the engine running while on a stand and in gear. Shit will definitely happen seen plenty of threads with the outcome.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    oh no a big black spray of grease up the garage door and ceiling hahaha
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by blayun_rr View Post
    One thing to remember when doing chain maintenance, dont get lazy and clean it with the engine running while on a stand and in gear. Shit will definitely happen seen plenty of threads with the outcome.
    Yeah, I know one of my mates lost a finger doing that. Not good....

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by night_wolf View Post
    unlike when the lube is applied on the chain using the "spin wheel place finger with grease on chain method", the lube stays on the chain even after hard riding.
    Who does that? That's just asking to loose a finger....
    What's wrong with chain lube/wax? It's been specifically for the job of both lubrication, and staying on your chain!

As I said before, your method is great for non-oring chains. We just used to wash in petrol, then soak in old engine oil. We then just hung them up till time for next ride.

This is a lot harder for those with road bikes, not only because they are usually o-ringed, but also because you are asking for trouble if you are not using a riveted master link, especially with the power of a road bike.

anyone use actual gearbox oil as recommended via every motorbike workshop manual ive read thru ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    anyone use actual gearbox oil as recommended via every motorbike workshop manual ive read thru ?
    with most wet clutch bikes, the gearbox oil is engine oil. I used to use it with my 2 strokes, non-o-ring chain.