Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

Need help fitting replica lip

Hi everyone.

So I've just bought a Mugen Replica lip for my DC2 (facelift) from JDMYard.

It looks good, but I must say the fitment is extremely far from flush.

I can't really figure out how it's supposed to fit, it seems too wide at the ends, and the part in the center that goes into the "mouth" of the bumper doesn't seem to be right either.

Am I supposed to heat it up with a heat gun and mould it around the bumper?

I really don't wanna break it though, it was $150 and I just got it.

Anyones input will be much appreciated, and rep for any helpful suggestions.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I bought the Type R one and found that I really had to pull the lip tight over the bumper and screw the sides onto the wheel well next to the wheel/tyre. Then for the middle I tried double sided tape but that failed time and time again, so I resorted to using more screws.

I would say that you'll probably end up needing to use screws like I did. The double sided tape won't hold. Also be careful of your paint as there's a chance the plastic of the lip will damage it when you're trial fitting.

Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Nah thats awesome dude, thanks. yeah I just went out and checked it again, it looks like it'll fit by using screws in the right places, and using my heat gun I might be able to mould it around the bumper to make it more flush.

Has anyone used a heat gun on abs plastic before?
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    i had to use a heat gun when i put my type r style lip kit on, you just have to be carefull that you dont melt or burn it. if you can, sit the lip out in the sun for a while to soften it up and use the heat gun in difficult spots if you have to. One thing i would highly recomend is having someone else to help you because i don't think i could have done it if my old man hadn't have helped me.

Forgot to mention too, in the end my front lip was so tight that we had to modify/cut a peice out of the little lip on each end that tucks into the wheel well (the part that dougie is talking about screwing into) so the end curved nicely around the bumper and didn't stick out like **** on a bull lol

i also screwed mine in. My front lip actually came with brackets to hold it but i put extra screws in anyway all along under the front and on each end to make sure it was going to be strong enough.

Hope that helps mate, good luck!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Thats great to know, ok I'm gonna have a go at fitting it this weekend!
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    well its a replica there not all gonna fit flush, sum will but sum also wont.

ur gonna need some fiddling around with, like u said heat gun and stretching and so forth.

i got my spoons lip and that fit flush with my EK but the type r lip didnt, so its kinda a luck dip.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    yeah true that. I'll just have to be really careful, I'm a little worried about breaking it though.. cause it is only plastic. oh well, only one way to find out.
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    dont know how the weather is like, but leaving it in the sun helps soften the plastic a little bit.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    don't stress about it too much man, as Riced_Civic said it is a replica and therefore may be either a tad short or a tad long, or you might be lucky and have one that fits just right, but either way ABS plastic is pretty flexible/durable and it will take a lot to break it. Best thing you can do to stop it from breaking is to heat it up so it's more plyable. As i said before, leaving it out in the sun will make it heaps easier to put on, and just use the heat gun in spots that are giving you grief. as you said there is only one way to find out bro

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Shouldn't break that easily. I know it's not flexible, quite brittle actually, just make sure you don't twist it though and you should be fine.

I ended up with two screws in the wheel well, one above the other, because if you just use one screw for this section then the lip will flex up/down a bit as the single screw will act as a pivot point. I received those little black caps that cover the screw so that can't be seen easily.

For the two screws I used on the front I just put them through the back corners (when facing the car front on) of the 'flap' that sits in the grill section, one for each corner. I did this because of the way the stock bumper is shaped - the screws have to be as far back as is feasible so that the screw will go through and into the bumper on a decent angle (you'll know what I mean).
    I also sprayed these screws back so that they wouldn't stand out.

Good luck with it man

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Shouldn't break that easily. I know it's not flexible, quite brittle actually, just make sure you don't twist it though and you should be fine
    The reason i said flexible was because after leaving it in the sun and even before my lip was very flexible, i was bending it in all different directions so each section fitted flush against the bumper.

My lip sounds different to yours anyway, mine doesn't sit in the bumper at the front, it just tucks into the wheels wells and thats it.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Because you have an EK, not a DC4 like an Integra? Although OP has suggested his has the flap also...

I got mine from JDMYard, you?